New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been without my cougar for close to a year. The first shop that had the car should not be in business. My car sat at this shop From February to August with nothing positive being accomplished. I dropped off my Cougar with a working 2.5L engine, as well as my 2004 Ford Escape block. I was forced to pull the car out after months of stalling by the shop. I was shocked to learn the state of the car. My project for 8 months had moved backwards, and I was worse off than when I first dropped the car due to missing parts that somehow disappeared while my car was at this shop.

When I first bought my 2004 Escape block I was lucky enough to meet Massiv and Timeless. After explaining the situation to them they agreed to take on this nightmare 3L project. At times it looked like it would never get done, but with these two individuals expertise on our platform and specifically 3L Swaps they got it done. Without Massiv & Timeless my car would be nothing but scrap metal. Its state was so poor that no shop would ever touch it. I’m sincerely grateful to these guys, their knowledge and creative problem solving skills are remarkable. I wanted to take this time to thank the both of you for everything. This projects scope was a lot larger than first discussed and agreed upon, but you guys stuck with it. I owe you guy’s big time, and I’ll try returning the favour somehow.

Alright so let’s get to the good part. Yesterday, after close to a year without my car, it was time to attempt to start my Cougar. I turned the key with one hand, while crossing my fingers with the other. When I heard it fire up, I felt like a kid opening up a really big present. The car sounds sOOOOOOO nice. I had some idling issues initially but that went away once the computer adapted to the bigger injectors. My setup is as follows:

2004 Escape Block
Oval Port P&P Heads
SVT CAMS / UIM / LIM / TB
MSDS Headers/Y-pipe
Borla Exhaust (I know it’s restrictive)
Injen Intake with K&N RE 0910
Spec Stage 1 Clutch/Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Tranny upgraded with new forks, syncros & tower

* I’m running 19LB injectors off the stock Cougar ECU right now. I will be swapping over to my 24LB Forcing Racing Injectors & ADC Chip which is tuned for these injectors.

So far I’ve put like 150km’s on the engine being very careful as I’m breaking in a lot of new transmission, driveline and engine components. However even at low RPMs this car pulls like a beast. My first observation was that the car felt sooooo much lighter than before. It moves so effortlessly and smoothly, I’m itching to pass the break in period so I can open it up. For those of you that wonder whether it’s worth the money, my first impression would be HELL YA! ?

I still have some issues that need to be addressed (CEL), ABS/TC and Electrical issues, but the car starts and runs like a champ. I’ll keep everyone updated as I obtain DYNO #’s, once the car is chipped and broken in.

iNFAMOUS

·
Registered
421 Posts
Any pics of the work in progress? I"m getting ready to start gathering parts for my build, and i'd be nice to see pics of the whole process.

btw, congratulations!! glad to hear it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Um......you need to post pics like now! I'm really happy for you as I know what it's like to go through this build and the final result is awesome...bottom line. So upload some pics of the beast, i'm sure you have tons of pics, like I do. I couldn't help wanting to rember everything and taking pictures all the time! Also, are your heads fully PnP'd or just port-matched?

Good Luck

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've attached some pics, unfortunatley I lost a lot due to my hard drive crashing.... The heads are fully P&Pshed. I got them done here locally in Toronto, the guy did a quality job on them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cool man! Let us know when you open her up!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good to hear it is running well. Has the CEL for too rich with the injectors come back? Also it is a good thing you got those FMS injectors as Nima over on CEG has recently discovered that the Escapes came with returnless 19# injectors and not 24# injectors.

Now that your car is done (well our part) I am happy to get back to finishing up all the little things I still have left from my build and all the regular maintaince I had been pushing aside. Hopefully by end of week my car will be fully dyno tuned and the slight stumble/miss at WOT between 6250 rpm and redline will be resolved and then I can start prepping for the open track event on Thanksgiving weekend.

Also make sure you get the PCM support braket asap since your old mechanice lost it.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
awesome! Glad to hear it up and running. Shops=Bad idea for custom work

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Awesome, glad to hear you've got it running again! Your setup sounds a lot like the setup I'm looking at going with when the time comes for the 3L in my Coug, so any advice you can pass along will definitaly go to great use.

And when the time comes, I'm not going to give it to a shop to do. Its gonna happen here at my house, with the help of friends. To me, it just ruins it to give someone your car and say "OK, here do it." I would feel much more proud of it if I took my own time/money and did it myself.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
congradulations!!!!!!!!:beer::grouphug:

cant wait to make a similiar post of mine alive.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Infamous,

You're welcome. Truly, your car was b!tch to work on. Mostly due to the unfathomable and UNBELIEVABLE F-ups the first guy did ALL OVER YOUR car. :ugh:

Don't forget to take care of those critical safety things we talked about. And once that break-in's done. HAVE FUN!

Massiv.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by: Massiv
Infamous,

Don't forget to take care of those critical safety things we talked about. And once that break-in's done. HAVE FUN!

Massiv.
It's getting dropped off to Ford tonight. I've put 250km's on it so far, and I'm in love. The car is very strong down low in the rev band, I'm itching to see how it performs up high. My stock cougar didn't have much left when cruising in 5th gear at 2.5-3K RPMS. This car however pulls very strongly in that range.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: infamousHK
The car is very strong down low in the rev band, I'm itching to see how it performs up high. My stock cougar didn't have much left when cruising in 5th gear at 2.5-3K RPMS. This car however pulls very strongly in that range.
~40 more torque will do that. Especially on a car that does not start out with much.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
My favorite part about having a 3L Hybrid at my disposal:

Being able to go up a steep hill that normally requires dropping into 4th gear...
In 5th gear. At 50% throttle. At 75mph. :biggrin:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by: RevNHigh
Good to hear it's up and running!!!! I was getting worried about you...
Darren, what up man. Thanks again for the speedy work with the heads. Any Toronto guys/gals looking for P&P services locally should definatley contact RevNhigh. The heads turned out very nice. I'll pop by one of these days with the ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.