New Cougar Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you try with the impact use one of the ballpoint type swivels.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I need to buy some of those. Maybe if I ever stop buying Jeep parts...:rofl:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ugh. The precat keeps hitting the block when i try and pull the head up. Engine is coming out. The magnaflow precats suck to put on and off.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
damn. good thing i sent u a piston. lmao. head is rebuildable btw

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The cylinder wall has some deepish indentations from the con rod smackin it. Need machine shop to inspect block. Full rebuild would have to happen IF the block is salvaveable. Still debating if it would be worth it to rebuild. Already put A LOT of time and money in this engine.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
What he said.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
id honestly inspect the bore and if its 'decent' slap a piston in there. check the bearings just in case which pans off, and then that head polished out a bit. new valve and valve seat. honestly you have nothing to lose. just fkin send it. its not ideal. but you wont notice any differeneces as long as the valve seals and the head mounting surface isnt damaged. you do need to find out why it failed tho..

·
Registered
868 Posts
Jesus that's way more damage than I expected from a dropped valve. Especially since it all went to **** while idling..

·
Registered
868 Posts
Btw I've got a complete head the same side as you need. And it's yours should you decide you need it.. I could also just send you a valve. Don't think I could get the seat out tho.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
They did. Sort of. Cam cap over cyl 6 had a bolt that was loose, or that worked itself loose. Don't know how that equals dropped valve, but y'all are better engine geeks than me.

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk
The bolts both were loose yes but they didnt back out. Again everything was torqued to spec so it happened after the fact.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Btw I've got a complete head the same side as you need. And it's yours should you decide you need it.. I could also just send you a valve. Don't think I could get the seat out tho.
We have the og set of heads that came with this engine but thank you.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thank you for explaining all my "what if" fears Gord haha.

Right now the most likely explanation of what happened is the spring retainer failed. Its just sittin there then "pop" valve goes to town on piston...

Spring and the "cap" that goes on top were recovered. The retainer was in pieces and fell into the engine. The rff was intact. Cam lobe was fine. Cam cap looks fine.

A friend looked at the cylinder and said probably wpuld need to be sleeved.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Ive got a block boxed up and ready to ship from Connecticut. I want to say its an 03 or 04 escape motor but I honestly dont remember for sure.
Shipping cost plus a little extra for the trouble and its yours.
Ive got valves and all that junk too but youre probably better off just going new for all that.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Any attempted repair wouldn't be worth the machine shop bill.

Based on the lack of success you've had with the last dozen or so engines, I think you should just go get a clean long block and install it without cracking anything open from the cam covers down. Maybe even a remanufactured 2.5 like B3NN3TT did in his recent project.

K.I.S.S. principle...ya know?

161 - 180 of 181 Posts