New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Sable 3k miles engine is in the way up from SoCal tomorrow, along with a legacy owners accidentally acquired Cougar S engine. Or I should say what's left of it. Lol. Here we go....

·
Registered
868 Posts
2005 Sable 3k miles engine is in the way up from SoCal tomorrow, along with a legacy owners accidentally acquired Cougar S engine. Or I should say what's left of it. Lol. Here we go....
Heres to hoping 3rd times a charm! Really though I hope everything goes well for you guys this time. It seems your snake bit with these cars. Might I suggest forgoing the aircraft stripper to get the old head gasket material off and just taking your sweet time with a razer blade? That's what I did and everything seems to be going well.

Reactions: LostOffspring99

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got a 3.0 from a 2005 sable with 30K transplanted last week -let me know if you need a picture or something.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
awesome! always love a fresh build!

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What led to this build.....here you go

Something's not right

There it is!

Oops

closer investigation suggests...No oil passage!

Just mauled.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That looks awful.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
While we're still in the early point of this thread, do you have any tips on pulling a good motor? Would Checking the valve cover, oil pan and checking compression do a decent job at finding out which engine is healthy and which is not? I have about twenty-five escape/taurus engines to choose from in the local yard, and even one or two MPVs, and i have no idea how to decode which one is THE one. :( i'd appreciate any advice!

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
just pull the oil cap off. and see the insides. if the aluminum is stained it probably wasnt taken care of well. if its clean its msot likely good. BUT. very big BUT... that doesnt mean the motor isnt defective. most common issue is spun rod bearings, which you can check if you pull the oil pan off. might be a hassle though. you didnt mention if youre pulling them or theyre already sitting on the shelf. if theyre on the shelf you can do a leakdown tesst on them which will tell you if the motor has good compression

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
While we're still in the early point of this thread, do you have any tips on pulling a good motor? Would Checking the valve cover, oil pan and checking compression do a decent job at finding out which engine is healthy and which is not? I have about twenty-five escape/taurus engines to choose from in the local yard, and even one or two MPVs, and i have no idea how to decode which one is THE one. :( i'd appreciate any advice!

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk
Compression test and no metal shavings in oil pick up tube.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
or plastic shavings :tongue:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
thats exactly why i said Leak down. You can do it with the motor out

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All gaskets acquired. Need a replacement main harness now. Build will commence next week.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So back on track, I have a question...

I have these nice turbo cut heads I had planned on using with a S/C. However I think I may have taken too long to grab it. Sooo that leaves me NA. I was going to use these svt cams however I was informed by the previous owner they may be questionable due to the accident he was in. Possible lobe movement. I have the 3L cams that came with my motor i may be stuck using. Here is my question:

The heads are cut for high revving. If I use the 3L cams which are good for low to mid range, what kind of result would you think I'd get? Would I still get the good power down low? Or possibly only a portion till it falls on its face for the lack of high rpms?

1 - 20 of 181 Posts