New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all is involved in swapping the entire engine cradle "with transmission and engine" attached into my son's 2001 atx v6 cougar? Basically this is going to be done for the mtx swap. What all is needed from the svt contour to make the swap complete. Thanks

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
I would definitely search here for that info, it's been done a few times and you'll see some FS posts that basically outline the parts needed for a straight swap plus any troubleshooting threads to prep yourself for.

tl;dr You need:
The donor car subframe
MTX (duh) and driveshafts
Shift cables
Shifter assembly (The center console from the Cougar can be used, but the boot cover is probably different from the SVT)
Upgraded shift tower from a Focus (if the previous SVT owner didn't do it already)
Master cylinder & lines to MTX
NEW throw out bearing (OEM only), clutch & flywheel
Pedal box and wiring for the neutral safety switch
An ECU from a manual Cougar and the PATS module from the steering column...or do the 3.0 swap since you're halfway there and the SVT ECU will work.

Plus anything else that's gonna break or need replacing when you start pulling undisturbed 20yr old wiring and bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the wiring and ecu from the contour isn't compatible? I was hoping this would work also. I searched the site, but couldn't get the answer I wanted. Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
The wiring and ecu from the Contour would work on an earlier Cougar, but there will be some differences to your 01 cluster, your fuel pump, and who knows what else. You may be able to adapt most of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked rock auto for parts interchange. On the 2000 svt contour the fuel pump is the same, but the alternator is the earlier style. Is the svt ecu "tuned" for the bigger cams ect? The svt has 70,000 miles is also why I'd like to swap the whole deal.

·
Administrator
11,675 Posts
The wiring and ecu from the Contour would work on an earlier Cougar, but there will be some differences to your 01 cluster, your fuel pump, and who knows what else. You may be able to adapt most of it.
The ECU for the SVT Contour will have a slightly different tune to account for the 2.5l differences, right? Not sure how that would play with their stock 2.5l which is why I'd think it be safer going with an MTX Cougar ECU.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
The ECU for the SVT Contour will have a slightly different tune to account for the 2.5l differences, right? Not sure how that would play with their stock 2.5l which is why I'd think it be safer going with an MTX Cougar ECU.
I think he's planning on taking the whole drive train in one lump...drop the front end out of both cars and bolt the SVT front end into the Cougar.

Reactions: JScullin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly what mmc757 said! Swap the motor,trans,and sub-frame into the cougar. Along with all other necessary parts to make the swap complete.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
If you have the whole donor car, then all you would really be missing would be the interior pieces for the Cougar. I'm pretty sure any minor electrical system differences could be figured out without too much trouble.
I wouldnt start until I had both wiring manuals in-hand though.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
I found this old how-to in my library of random downloads.
You may find some useful information in here but it looks like his approach was different than what your talking about so take it with a grain of salt.
HowToATXtoMTXSwap.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's one of the first things I downloaded when I joined. I was actually reading it again last night hoping it said something about using the svt contour ecu/wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts