New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay 4 months ago i got a used trans. put in my 1999 V6 MTX because I blew the diff at the track! and when i blew the trans at the track when i would put it in gear all it would do was shutter and grind! So what Iam getting to is tonight i was going around a bent in 4th gear at about 100k and then i shifted down into 3rd then put it in neutral and coasted into a drive way to turn around, well when i go to put it into gear there are no gears i can take the shifter and move it all over the place and the linkages on the shifter box under the shifter/knob are all good and the linkages going into the transmission are all good and moving well. Now when i throw the shifter around you can hear it moving in the transmission like normal, and the clutch feels good and there is no grindding/shuttering/ there is nothing. Any ideas??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Trans shift mechanism has a retaining bolt inside the shift tower ... the bolt has sheared off, leaving you with no shifting. The tower has to come off the bolt has to be "fished" out OR it must be pulled. VERY common failure ... happened on my first Cougar.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay so i have been looking on the net and according to everywhere i look the shift tower is below the shifter. now if it was the retaining screw in there would the linkages still all be good at the shifter and the linkages at the trans. still be moving correctly?

PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
The shifter mechanism is the part you operate. The shift tower is on the other end of the shift cables and is directly attached to the transmission.

Hope this helps...

-Nick

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS:thumbsup: I found the sheared off bolt on the shift tower the only problem now is i cant find the end that feel into the tranny so tommorow were gonna try to use magnets to find out but if not should i risk it being in there? or spend the millions of hours pulling the transmission out?

Thanks for the help! Iam gonna try to find a digital camera for tommorow so if someoneelse has the same problem they will have pics to go by!!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
do not risk it!

i promise if you don't get it out some bad "stuf" WILL happen!

i have had this happen to me 3x...the first time i knew nothing about cars so i took it to a tranny shop, and ofcourse they had to take out the tranny.

the second time i luckily found the bold with a magnet.

the third time i couldn't find the bolt with a magnet ANYWHERE! so i took the car for a drive down the road i live on...only going about 5MPH. i heard a grinding noise so me and a friend pushed it over a mile back to my house. the next day when i went to work(in a different vehicle) i saw a line down the middle of the road where tranny fluid mad started leaking after i heard that grind....the bolt got caught in between the ring gear and the casing and it cracked the casing.

so i had my uncle weld back up the casing and it has been good ever since.

Moral of the story...if not even before the bolt breaks, definitely after...buy a new focus shift tower so you don't have to worry bout the problem.

SO NO DON"T DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THAT BOLT WONDERING AROUND IN THE TRANNY!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
no it just cracked the casing. then i had to take the tranny out...open it up and take everything out. cause for one i had to get the bolt out...and two i had to take the thing to get it welded back up.

its not that bad tho...its actually a fairly easy process if you ask me...it justs takes a little time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR................

I cant get the bolt from anywhere i've tryed and tried..... my buddy is gonna see if he can borrow a scope from the snap on guy 2morrow to see if we can see it with that! Iam trying to do what ever it takes to do this without pulling the tranny.

Now a question can I pull the transmission apart (not from the engine but from where the caseing is bolted together and siliconed together) with the transmissionSTILL IN THE CAR to make an opening big enough for the sheared off bolt to fall out without wreaking any seals of internal parts of the transmission? because i think it is probally right at the bottom there and if i can just pry it open enough for the bolt to fall out that would be easier then dropping the whole thing! I REALLY DONT WANNA DROP THE TRANSMISSION!!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Originally posted by: 1phatxr7
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR................

I cant get the bolt from anywhere i've tryed and tried..... my buddy is gonna see if he can borrow a scope from the snap on guy 2morrow to see if we can see it with that! Iam trying to do what ever it takes to do this without pulling the tranny.

Now a question can I pull the transmission apart (not from the engine but from where the caseing is bolted together and siliconed together) with the transmissionSTILL IN THE CAR to make an opening big enough for the sheared off bolt to fall out without wreaking any seals of internal parts of the transmission? because i think it is probally right at the bottom there and if i can just pry it open enough for the bolt to fall out that would be easier then dropping the whole thing! I REALLY DONT WANNA DROP THE TRANSMISSION!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol please don't even try that!

1) you will have no way of sealing it back up!
2) all the gears and stuff will be falling everywhere in there and you will have no way of knowing whther they are alighned right or anything!
3) it is just all around not a good idea

if you have no experience pulling the tranny out of a cougar then i would exhaust every tool possible to try and get it out first, but if you can't get the bolt out please don't do a lazy job pulling the tranny. just take your time and don't snag anything else while you are pulling it out. like i said it 'IS' a really easy process it just needs to be done in a fairly specific order.

if you have any questions while your taking it out(cause if you haven't found the bolt yet you prolly won't) just post them here or PM me and i'm sure we can et you thru this very "aggrivating" time. i have been thru this VERY thing...i know EXACTLY how you feel! :biggrin:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where in the transmission was the bolt when you found it with the magnet? where did you send the magnet down from or through?

Thanks man you are a GREAT help

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
when i found it with the magnet it was just right down underneath the shift tower...i could barely see the edge of it.

when i didn't find it with the magnet i tried going down thru the top...i tried sticking the magnet thru the fill whole in the front...and i tried looking down in the with a mirror thru the top and thru the fill whole. but that time i just had no luck with finding it that time. it had found its way back to the differential area and was not coming out unless i took the tranny out!

so the only two places i can think of to stick a magnet/ mirror in would be thru the shift tower whole, or the fill whole. you can't really stick anything in the drain whole cause the ring gear is right in the way.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
is the shift tower the dealy that the shifter itself is in and supports it? like.. u remove the leather boot and there it is surrounding the shift "rod"

can we can a pic of the bolt in question? maybe it'd be best to replace the bolt ::shrugs::

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the shift tower is directly bolted on top of the transmission, you take off a metal cover then take out the shift tower and there is a bolt in the shift tower! I have 2 find a cam. to get pics

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The site went down just before I finished the job :)

Well I was unable to get pics because of the unavailability of a camera :banghead:

But the good part is, I finished it and for the record you do not need to pull the transmission. We tried getting the sheared off bolt out of the transmission for about four hours with different little magnets etc. And then I decided to go to Canadian Tire and purchase a new magnet that was on a flexible rod that is about 2 feet long and it is really skinny and it took us 30 seconds to get the bolt out. All we did was put it down through the FILL plug, and because if the magnet rod was very small in circumference and in length it fit in well and we just pushed it down to the lowest part of the trans. axle (where the drain plug is) and BAM it grabbed it right away. The bolt was too big to lead out the fill plug hole so I had a buddy direct the end of the rod where the bolt was to the top of the transaxle where the shift tower bolts on and grabbed it off the end!

Now that I have done this once I could probably do this whole process in one hour! I will get pics of the tool I used as soon as I get a camera and post it in this thread but with this tool you would never have to drop the trans axle to get the bolt out.

Chris

P.s. if anyone has this same problem and needs some advice or help feel free to PM me!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
for the record sometimes you do have to pull the tranny out...you just got lucky!

and BTW there is no way it was "back by the drain plug" cause the ring gear is right by the drain plug...if the bolt did however make it to the drain plug...you will have a cracked casing lol.

i'm glad you were able to get it out without having to pull the tranny! :banana:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.