New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 3L today & am planning everything for it. I've gotten several recommendations to get a LSD. I was just wondering if there ws anything else that could or should be upgraded. There isn't really a sticky with this kind of information, and I don't know what to search for... i mean "upgrade" is fairly vague and pulls a bunch of junk.

So what all can be upgraded in the MTX?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You could also upgrade to a Focus Shift tower, and updated shift forks.

Like Frosty said in your last post. Check out the LSD install How-To from CEG. It shows and gives you all the part numbers you need to greatly strengthen your MTX.

Give me a sec..I'll find the link.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the point of the new shift tower & the forks ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where can I get a Quaife at for a decent price ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
What's the point of the new shift tower & the forks ?
where can I get a Quaife at for a decent price ?
If you have a 2000 or newer chances are you don't need to upgrade shift tower/forks. On my 00 SVT I noticed the forks I had were IDENTICAL to the "revised" ones. I also know my 00 has a different shift tower then my 99 Cougar so the newer your car is the better chances you already have the revised one.

I think you can check out batinc.net for the diff or nautilusperformance.com

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 02, so if I already have them that's great. But still don't know what the difference is... I've also seen info about using a different final drive gear, is that just a diiferent ring gear around the diff ? If so what are the options ?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have an 02, so if I already have them that's great. But still don't know what the difference is... I've also seen info about using a different final drive gear, is that just a diiferent ring gear around the diff ? If so what are the options ?
The final drive is more for people with a buttload of power. They switch to the Zetec F/D because it gives them longer gears. By getting longer gears the lower ones become more useable, but again it's mainly for people with large amounts of power.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Let me clarify some things here. You asked what you can upgrade. Well, you can upgrade just about everything in the transmission, including the gears. Now, unless you are Leo Capaldi or one of the Mumm Brothers, it doesn't make sense to do all that. Upgrading the final drive ratio is nice for forced induction, but when i learned it would cost $1K I decided against it. You already have the updated shift tower and shift forks, so all you really need at this point is an LSD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what final drive ratio are you guys talking about? I have the torsen t2 LDS and the FR 4.06 final drive in my focus and love it also I am just trying to figure out if my focus mtx-75 and exedy flywheel + clutch will bolt to the v6 I am getting tommarow I ahve heard that there might be a diff in shaft size

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
no the focus mtx will not hold up to the v6...go boom boom. the shift forks you can upgrade to is the "slick shift" forks from HMS, they were redesigned and better than the ford revised ones. the focus shift tower is a upgrade for ones with older trans and are prone to the shift tower bolt working its way out.

but autosport u can reuse the torsen and dinal drive in a mtx for a 2.5.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just for your pondering, I am the new owner of the Leo Capaldi Car. In discussing the car with them it seems that even with the special box they have I have to treat the box like it is made of glass. In their DNF's it looks like a surpising number of them are for box explosions.

LOL, I guess I am going to be stripping all of the local wrecking yards for MTX 75 boxes. I may look into the Quaife gearsets, but I am concerned that the problem lies in case rigidity, not in a gear problem per say. The teeth shear may be caused by twisting the 2 gear clusters or having them separate/ push away from each other under load rather than an inherent weakness of the metal. I know that in my RX7 when your HP exceeds 300 HP you have to use the TII box with the additional ribbing. The problem in that box is relieved by the increased rigidity of the case. There is no point in replacing the gears in the NA box as the case will just deflect under load again and buzzzzzzz off go the teeth.

Anybody done an analysis of the box to determine the major failure modes? If this looks to be a major issue, then it might make sense to look into aftermarket boxes rather than cobbling something together that will more than likely fail again.

Eric Nummelin

Nummelin Motorsports

#23 CCTCC RX7
#?? CCTCC/WC Cougar

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Just for your pondering, I am the new owner of the Leo Capaldi Car. In discussing the car with them it seems that even with the special box they have I have to treat the box like it is made of glass. In their DNF's it looks like a surpising number of them are for box explosions.

LOL, I guess I am going to be stripping all of the local wrecking yards for MTX 75 boxes. I may look into the Quaife gearsets, but I am concerned that the problem lies in case rigidity, not in a gear problem per say. The teeth shear may be caused by twisting the 2 gear clusters or having them separate/ push away from each other under load rather than an inherent weakness of the metal. I know that in my RX7 when your HP exceeds 300 HP you have to use the TII box with the additional ribbing. The problem in that box is relieved by the increased rigidity of the case. There is no point in replacing the gears in the NA box as the case will just deflect under load again and buzzzzzzz off go the teeth.

Anybody done an analysis of the box to determine the major failure modes? If this looks to be a major issue, then it might make sense to look into aftermarket boxes rather than cobbling something together that will more than likely fail again.

Eric Nummelin

Nummelin Motorsports

#23 CCTCC RX7
#?? CCTCC/WC Cougar
Nice to see the Capaldi Cougar in Southern Ontario. Will we be seeing it at a track near us anytime soon?

Oh and unless you are going F/I, I would stick with LSD, Flywheel and Clutch. No point in over doing it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yep, the car will be racing at Mosport, Shannonville, Toronto Indy, maybe Calabogie. Check the CASC.ON website in January for CCTCC Races and if financing allows I should be at most of them. I will also have the RX7 out for some events as well. Actually the Mumm Bros. car races here as well. It is owned by the Dipchands and is expected out again next year. Both WC Cougars in one race and all happening in Ontario. Who'da thunk it??

I also am planning, if I can get the car running fast enough, to do the WC Touring car race at Mosport during the ALMS Weekend in September 2008.

The car has a Quartermaster 3 plate 5" clutch, a 5 lb flywheel and a Quaife Torsen style diff plus almost 280 hp. It has all the things that you need to go really really fast and it was built very well by the Capaldi's, so if I can get the gearbox more durable then away we go.

Has anybody tried cooling the box to see if tranny temp is a contributing factor in the failures? I don't think so as the issues look to be explosions rather than synchro/ gear failures. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eric Nummelin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts