New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the "real world" performance difference between these two options?

Ideally I would purchase the headers (& y-pipe), but the cost is substantial. Would it not be nearly as effective to gut the stock pre-cats (and perhaps add an aftermarket y-pipe)?

Also, is the cost of a high-flow cat "worth it" (in terms of real gains)?

Thanks?

:)

~CIII

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
well think about it.

You have a stock manifold. All the runners run staight into each other...then into a chamber which opens up for a few inches then contracts again. and you know the inside is in no way performance orientend. So basically this mod is sort of like a gutted main cat..only you get more of a benefit because they are much closer to the exhaust ports and there are 2 of them..

Then you have the MSDS headers... indivual runners, equal length, smooth design. Designed for performance and flow.

Obviously each will add some hp> but MSDS headers are far better in flow and power. If you dont have the money then go for the gutting. But if you do, then headers are worth the money for sure.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Are there any dyno graphs that show the net gains between the two?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
msds headers are not equal lenght runners.... no way no how...

for the 01-02 exhaust manifolds, it would be even more beneficial to gut the cats as they runners are a better design coming off the head....

price vs. performance, gutted cats win hands down...

N

·
0 Posts
Stock blows so go with headers just so you can say i got HEADers!!!
*woof*

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Either way you stack it, the stock manifolds will always be a log design :)

MSDS makes an attempt at being "more" equal length than a stock manifold.

IMHO.......
The MSDS headers provided the most gains from any previous bolt on, besides my 3.0L of course :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I read somewhere here once that gutting the stock manifolds will sacrafice a couple sub 3k TQ for a little better top end, while headers actually help to boost low end AND substantially boost in higher rpms... does that sound about right?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I can see that being true. Just as with gutting the main cat that is certainly true.

I guess you could compare it similarly. Gutted main cat vs Straight pipe.

MSDS headers definilty improved low end TQ and top end on my coog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts