New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i was talking to a guy the other day and MSDS came up. i just had afew questions. MSDS makes a pair of headers and a y-pipe correct? however i always thought the y-pipe went from the headers to the cat-back. My friend says NO. he says they stop before the stock flex pipe and catalytic conveter. So if you have an MSDS system you still need to use your stock flex pipe and cat converter. Is this true? he sent me two pictures, and sure enough it looks like it is? is there a two bolt of three bolt flange (if any) on the MSDS unit? does MSDS make a high-flow cat and flex-pipe to be used with there system?

thanks guys, sorry but i have yet to see an actual MSDS unit so far...

josh

·
Registered
972 Posts
You are right, it stops at the cat. So you might wanna make a high flow cat and extension to the exhaust for those people who have the headers. I know I would be interested, but it must have the sensor after the cat (this only applies to 2001 cougars)

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
stupid 2001 cougars...
jjennings..
i promised yodude i would check this 4 him but i havent yet.. but..
in addition to the lame sensor after the cat, does the stock 01 ypipe still have the sensor right at the beginning too?

·
Registered
972 Posts
NO, there are no other sensors on the 2001, none on the pre-cats or nothing. Only one sensor, after the cat!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Blackcoug, your sho-shop y-pipe, will work, but it won't get you any more horsepower, and it will void your warranty with MSDS, I don't reccomend it!!! You can sell your y-pipe for a couple of bills, and that money can go toward the install of the MSDS headers.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Thats what I don't get. Even if I did install it with the sho shop what are they going to do if something fails? They wouldn't know. I think I will have it dynoed because it does have a highflow cat on it which everyone else is going to put on there headers anyway. And if people are going to put a different cat on wouldn't that also void the warrenty? Although either y pipe I don't use I found someone to buy it for around $100. I would rather give him the MSDS one because I paid $400 for the sho shop.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's not your factory warranty you should be worried about, it's the MSDS warranty. Ask Trevor (Fastcougar) about what his exhaust does when he steps on it. With the MSDS headers, you need the support that the MSDS y-pipe gives to hold the headers in place. The ShoShop y-pipe has no support, and is going to allow the exhaust, headers and cat to flex and move on you all the time, and yes, MSDS will know by the type of damage done to the headers whether or not you used their y-pipe and wheter or not the correct support is there. Now you can make a support bracket on the sho-shop y-pipe, which will secure it, and it's likely you won't have any problems, but no-one can gaurentee that as yet.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
I know I was talking about the MSDS. But yeah if any of you have the sho shop y pipe you need to have an exhaust shop weld a brace for it. I will be doing that this summer. Otherwise the way its now if I really rev the engine the engine torques and the exhaust hits the heat sheild (just barely). I might need to get a new cat because I think that it is already blown but sho shop said that they will send me a new one for free under warrenty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the replies...

so i take it that MSDS does not even make a high-flow cat to be used with their y-pipe?

is the SHO-shop y-pipe full length? or is it the same length as the MSDS? i think it was full length, right?

if you were to use this with MSDS, they would probably know, for the fact that the headers will have created stress on them. its possible to even shear a mounting bolt off...

i should be able to make a hihg-flow cat to be used with it. are they all 3 bolt pattern, i suppose?

and can you send the pic agian OV3N, of the new 2001 coog, so i can see the O2 hole...

josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.