New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you guys installed your intake and exhaust from yodude or borla i'm sure you totally felt the difference. My question is how much more power did it feel like you gained compared to those mods?
twice as much as the two combined? When mine are installed i'm hoping it's like night and day. Like finally i'll feel like i can beat some big boys!!!! NOt a corvette or anything, but you guys talk about beating Boxters and Prelude MTX's and Mustang GT's, **** i hope so man. I felt alot of gain surprisingly from Yodude's exhaust, alot of low end muscle, I did not expect that much.

It added so much to the low end that I need to gain more in the top end to even it out, not kidding, I pull away like a motherF#@ker now all the way up to like 4500RPM and then i feel a little extra horsepower in the top end, I did a 0-60 with my friend in the passenger seat(added weight) with a stop watch and i got 7.7 seconds, which surprised me alot!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty proud of that time man. I bet i could have taken more off without him being there, we had no way else of doing it though.

THanx guys.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't think with out some real serious mods (Nitrous/SC) an ATX Cougar is going to beat a Stang GT or Boxster with drivers being equal. Even then it'd be pretty tough. Unless you count passing the guy in the left turn lane as winning races.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Timing with a watch seems pretty inaccurate to me, how about u run your car at a dragstrip. Then get some real numbers to do comparing to. Just my 2 cents.
Matt

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Get a smaller wheel/tire combo to change your ratios...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting smaller wheels would work for improving acceleartion, but top speed will suffer. To change the gears you'd have to take the drivetrain apart and get someone to make the gears for you. Quaife makes one, I think Trevor mentioned. I think he also mentioned that a) it's for MTX and b) it's 10 grand

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that yeah it's only for the manual, but you can do a core exchange plus 1200 for a rebuilt tranny with a quafe in it. smaller wheels are the best for changing the ratio. If you are racing you don't need upper end. You need the acceleration in the quarter and road racing.

·
Registered
897 Posts
the quaife is $955 plus install last i checked. and just getting smaller wheels won't help... they have to be small AND light...19lb 15" wheels won't help much, especially if most of the weight is towards the outside of the wheel (rotation inertia). you might want to check out SCC from a few months ago. it's got a skyline on the cover in the sand and says "power, weight, grip, which matters most?" it's in reference to tires, unsprung weight, raw ballast, etc... very informative

uRiDiAN

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In regards to gear changing, it won't make that big of a deal with a front wheel drive car. Rear-wheel?? it can help out a lot. But your best bet is to get the quaife differential

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Top-speed shouldn't be hurt by smaller wheels on the ATX since 4th gear is good for about 185mph stock. Actually, you'll be producing more power in 4th in the 140mph range with slightly lower gearing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
changing the gear ratio is the single biggest change you can make to your car(it's the only one that will help every single other mod you make)....I just wish someone would come out with gears for our Cat's.....I'd put up with 3500rpm at 70mph if I could get a more appropriate (read lower
)ratio final drive

<ed. opps ment to say 3500rpm>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As i've told you guys before, I beat MTX's all the time and all i want to know is how much power you get. I'm tired of all you MTX guys thinking my automatic ain't gonna beat ****, The MTX is not fast at all in fact i don't like it it lags in 2nd 3rd and 4th which i don't have a problem with, so quit talkin ****.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Frosty ... I am not talking **** ... I am merely stating a fact. If you are beating MTX's with you ATX, the MTX driver must either be asleep, not trying, not know how to driver. I recently removed my ZEX nitrous kit and installed it on a friends 1999 ATX Cougar. The ZEX is set to 55hp, and he is getting 6.9-7.1 0-60 times, which I am getting with just my intake and exhaust mods. Stock for Stock, the ATX is a full 1.5-1.7 seconds slower 0-60 and 1.1 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile.

Merv ... I MISS MY ZEX! When I had it in, it was set on the 75hp setting, where I clocked numerous 5.9-6.2 sec. 0-60 runs. 1/4 was like 14.2 sec @ 95+mph.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man i'm so pissed i have to write more!!!!!!!!!! Anothert thing, I also have an MTX TSI TALON and my friend has an ATX GTP GRAND PRE and he kicks my ass everytime. I have alot of mods too!!!! I have a header, intake, Jet chip, a single BORLA exhaust etc. my car is about 225hp at the wheels and he still kicks my ass!!!!!!!! So this MTX superior complex you guys have is a bunch of crap, all it does is make you feel like your better because you have an MTX, well believe me when i say the MTX sucks bad!!!!!!!!!!! I've beat 4 of my friends MTX with all of our cars nearly stock, so don't go on thinkin you car is quicker and that you guys can go around beating BOXTERS and PRELUDE MTX's and i can't because i have one less gear!!!! My power is constant where you guys have to cut the power to change gears, which makes up for it. I admitt, on most ATX compared to MTX models in other cars they make about a 10-15hp difference and about a second slower in the 0-60mph but our cars are hardly that much apart, maybe 4horses difference and about a half a second slower 0-60 normally and you think you can beat all these cars that i can't because of that, well surprise surprise screw you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just keep it to yourselves and read my questions and answer what i ask instead of going and pissing me [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD D*&N PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What the hell do you think the automatic transmission does to shift gears? Magically teleport in the gears without any power drop??! You notice those revs dropping when the car shifts gears? Less revs = less power (in this case)Do you know what you're talking about AT ALL, MR CAPS MAN?!!?
An MTX Cougar with a good driver will ALWAYS beat an ATX cougar (with any driver). Check out the goddamn 0-60 times! The ATX will shift when IT thinks it has to, NOT necessarily at the peak time to obtain power in the next gear!! There is NO difference in engine power ratings between an ATX and MTX cougar
"Lagging in 2nd, 3rd and 4th" Did you even DRIVE an MTX cougar? You keep spouting this garbage out, and it just makes you look like you know even less about what you're talking about

Unless you're f**king dragracing everywhere, an ATX is considered a HINDERANCE in racing. You can't do sh*t with it (engine braking, heel-toe braking). Getting optimal Power coming out of a corner, or anything that doesn't involve driving in a straight line is beyond an ATX (when compared to MTX). Heck, even the ATX used in drag racing are designed to shift at peak power (unlike daily-driven cars' auto trannys)

Maybe your GTP driving friend is beating you because HE'S got 280 lb ft of torque and 240 hp and you've got a f*cking AWD drivetrain (I'm assuming) and Turbo-lag slowing you down! Don't get mad at US when YOU don't know what you're talking about.

I guess we should all just bow down before you and just answer your questions. After all, we're just here to serve YOU, aren't we? Dick.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Okayyyy...... I can see this thread getting deleted.....

Frosty obviously either doesnt know what he is talking about but thinks he is right due to his lack of experience and knowledge(see IGNORANCE), or he knows he got caught in a lie and is just trying to save face or something......

either way Frosty, the facts are the facts. Unless you are running boost or NOS, your ATX or any other ATX Cougar for that matter will NEVER beat an MTX Cougar with mods, and would barely even run the same 0-60 or 1/4 miles times as a stock MTX Cougar...NEVVVVVVEEEERRRRRRRR.....

and dont condemn this board because a few people jumped on you...we are here to help you, but when we see a fellow member making remarks that we know are blatantly INCORRECT...then we have the responsibility to correct them.....

Nikolas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, since this thread is obviously getting deleted, I'll just note that I'm getting a little tired of people (like FROSTY) coming onto the board and demanding that we answer every question they have.
The board is a community, and we have the right to expect that questions asked to us will be asked politely, and that the fact that sometimes we don't know the answer to every question will be handled reasonably.

I imagine I'm going to be getting a PM soon. STEEEE-RIKE ONE!

Addendum: Not that Frosty does that EVERY time, just that some posts do seem to come off like that

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Did somebody kick your dog this morning?

Go to a drag strip, post a timeslip, and then we'll try to figure who installed a supercharger in your car when you weren't looking.

Till then, I have an ATX myself, and I don't believe of word of this crap.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.