New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a MSD, DIS-2 Programable ignition controller and I was wondering if anyone else has one. My question is, where is the best location to mount the DIS-2 box? I've studied the engine compartment and there is not much places to chose from.

Right now, I'm thinking of putting it between the battery and the driver's side strut tower (where the stock airbox used to be located). There's a braket that the stock airbox was attached, and I'm thinking I could make a 8" x 6" mounting plate out of 1/8" steel. The DIS-2 box would be mounted on that.

Any thoughts from those who have been there, done that? Hey, Seawulf.......you were running a DIS-2 for awhile right? Where did you mount the unit? Anyone else?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I mounted it on the fusebox cover with the screws and a few zip ties. The adapter I just kind of had hanging by the wires. I've also heard another guy who installed it inside the glovebox. That's probably best. It ran ok for a few weeks then something happened and it went out on me, haven't had it on since. Word has it the early tach adapters were prone to failure.

I wish you had PM'd me before you had bought one. The J&S Safeguard does everything the DIS2 will and has a built in Knock sensor and can retard the timing when it sense deto. If I could go back and redo it, That's what I'd get.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Seawulf. I wasn't familiar with the J&S Safeguard system, but I had a chance to read up on it. Sounds like a pretty good system and that knock sensor retard is an awesome feature. Having the engine run full stock timing from the ECU and retarding each cylinder individually based on detonation from a knock sensor is an interesting concept. Theoretically, that will provide maximum ignition timing advance for any particular condition and maximize power output. Doesn't the Zetec have a factory knock sensor? That's something I'll have to keep in mind if the MSD DIS-2 doesn't address my timing issues, but I think it will.

I wanted the MSD because it has runtime ignition maps and boost ignition maps, which can be programed on a laptop. Not to mention I got a really good deal on it. So Between the MSD DIS-2, the Greddy E-Manage and the Autotap OBDII..........I'll have everything readily accessible on my laptop for tuning.

I want to get the electronics set-up and working for fuel and ignition timing management before I install the turbo. This way I'll be sure everything is working properly and get good baseline data to work from. Anyway, this is the last piece to address my engine management issues and it should be good to go.

How is your set-up doing? You eventually went with a custom chip right? How is that working out for you?

·
Registered
832 Posts
The stock knock sensor is worthless. Most tuners disable the knock sensor and so did we. The ECU was reading some weird values and it said I had no knock sensor and yet was pulling like 2 degrees when it detected knock. Even if the sensor was working, like when I had the 42lbs and MAF installed on my first test run it knocked massively at less than 1/3 throttle not even at boost so it can't compensate enough. The ECU looks at MAF voltage first and foremost and everything else second.

The DIS2's timing retarding is only at RPM and boost so it's not a total timing solution. It can't retard timing based on throttle position. Here's what will happen. When you install 42lb injectors(minimum size for 200whp) you will run a constant 30 degree spark advance(SPKA). You'll then need to pull at least 5-10deg across the board for regular driving then another deg per pound of boost. But after over 5 seconds at WOT the computer will start pulling timing to around 20 SPKA. So now with your 5-10 degree standard retard and another 5-10 retard for boost plus the 10 deg the ECU will pull you have 0 SPKA. It's also said that the ECU will eventually work itself around any changes you make to timing and fuel.

You're gonna have a tough time. Make sure you install an EGT gauge in the 3rd cylinder of your exhaust manifold(it's the hottest) an inch from the port and monitor that, make sure it doesn't go above 1500F by the redline. Also probably get a Knock sensor with a LED display for more fine tuning. And rather than get bigger injectors and MAF, I'd use the Emanage to clamp the voltage at 4.7v and install a 5th injector and have it programmed to give the proper fuel under boost. One 42lbr should be enough for 200whp, or at most a 50lbr. That way you only have to pull 3-4 deg off the stock timing and the fuel in the intake tract will further cool the air charge and inhibit deto.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've finished the install of the MSD DIS-2. I ended up placing it between the battery and the strut tower with the mounting plate. It turned out really well, it actually looks like it belongs there............a perfect fit. I made the mounting plate out of 1/16" stainless steel.

I'll put together a "how-to" on this later.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.