1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
battery in trunk location

ok I am gonna try to attempt to relocate the battery

current setup battery in front
Battery->(4awg wire)->fuse->cap->amps

would this work
Distribution block->(4awg wire)->fuse->cap->battery

basically can I use the audio wire that is there right now? or should I run a dedicated wire from the front to the battery in the trunk?
and do I need to buy a Optima or is the factory type battery ok in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i would recommend u buying a optima yellow top for da trunk.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I explained the battery situation last nite to you. You need a 0-emissions battery to relocate to the trunk, such as an Optima. You should also run a line from the battery's drainage outside, but not really needed.

E1

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok how should I rewire the wires that were connected to terminals on the battery? - 2000 V6

Negative terminal:
It has 3 wires (1 is for the battery itself, 2nd is from the fuse box, 3rd somewhere from under the engine)

Positive terminal:
2 wires (1 from the fuse, 2nd I dont know from where)

For the negative wires do I ground them each individually or can I take the 2nd & 3rd and bolt them together to the body/
For the positive wires should I just leave it has it is and run the power and connect it to the existing terminal ring?

N

·
0 Posts
If you plan on going to the track you better have a master kill switch and a strong Jbolt going through the trunk to pass inspection.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I plan to mount the battery kit on the left well of the trunk.
So I was wondering if there is anything under that area I have to worry about
I dont wanna drill thru wires or anything.

or maybe people who have done this can you recommend a good spot or it doesnt matter?

thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dig dig dig up the old post! I'm looking to do the same thing. I would be upgrading the "big three" wires when doing this, and maybe even doing "the alternator fix", since my headlights dim even when my system is off and the turn signals are blinking.
I want to get a sealed case and put the factory battery in the trunk.

Some questions:
1) "For the negative wires do I ground them each individually or can I take the 2nd & 3rd and bolt them together to the body?" Is it suitable to ground everything connected to the battery's negative terminal to the body? If so, where on the body could I find a suitable bolt or location to ground? Is there anything up front that needs to be grounded right to the negative termal and can't be grounded through the body?

2) Could I install an OEM battery in a sealed case back there, providing I route drainage, or do I really need a gel-cell / yellowtop?

3) Is 4-gauge good enough for the positive lead from the trunk to a distribution block in the engine compartment, or do I need 0-gauge? (I don't have a monster system nor plan on getting one.)

4) How should I drill and mount the battery case in the rear? I have a stick welder and I'm not afraid to use it if necessary.

5) Where is a suitable place in the trunk to ground the battery to the body?

Much thanks.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the big 3 first upgrade the power and ground wires to size 4 or bigger and try getting a yellowtop
See if that improves anything

cus having the battery upfront or in the back makes no difference
Why do you want to relocate the battery? I did it cus the battery was in the way of the cold air intake pipes.
I mean its reallly not worth it.

ok to answer your questions
Get a distribution block for the front
---(battery cable)--->(block)----->1. alternator wire 2. fuse wire 3. another wire

for the ground wires just bolt them together onto the body chassis make sure to sand of any paint and have good contact with the bare metal

In the trunk:

Any rear area is fine close to the taillights or even the spare tire area

Just bolt the ground wire (should be less then a feet long) onto the body (again sand of any paint and have good contact with bare metal)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts