New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many threads on this and even searched a couple of them, but nobody's ever said exactly how you mount the tubes on the side. All they've said was "use zipties"...I understand that but where do you "zip-tie" them to? I noticed the "pinches" that run along the side of the car and would like to mount the tubes next to them, preferably on the inner side, but there are no holes to put the tie in I tried drilling through them but I think they're steel...any ideas?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
heres a pic i just went out and took of how mine are attached.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm...thanks for the info and the pic. So I can just drill sideways right through the pinch, and then just throw a zip-tie through it?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
if you have side skirts you will not be able to see tha bulb. except with visteon side skirts you will be able to see a few inches of the bulb. i have a set of visteon sides that are just temporary to hide my side tubes.

with out side skirts the bulbs are visible but they are somewhat hidden behind that little lip. also a tip to hide bulbs put black electrical tape over the outer side of them so they only shine under the car and straight down.

edit: i have attached a pic that shows how a little bit of the tube is visible when using visteon sides. but to avoid this you could move the bulb ahead a few inches. but then it wouldn't be centered.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Where do you guy mount the front and back neon tubes? I've noticed that it must be mounted in the back somewhere behind the bumper, but where did you find a place to put it (without it getting damaged by the exhaust?) Same question for the front.... did you just attach it to the skid plate?

·
Registered
656 Posts
My car is lowered, and you can not see the tubes unless your 15 - 20 feet back from the car...I don't have the money for a GE kit, so I need to find a way to remedy this....

Other than that....here's some help.

Use the plastic ties that come with the neon kit to hold the tubes up....you will have to drill holes in the sheet metal for the side tubes. Don't drill into the metal flange, drill into the sheet metal flooring. It's double walled, so use a strong bit. For the front one, I took out the black shield and on it, near the fron, you'll notice it has a small overlay on the outside, mainly for strength. Underneath that, it's corrugated I guess you could say. I cut a slit wide enough, and long enough to get the tube in, laid the tube in the hole, and riveted it to the plastic. It mounts nice and flush, the only drawback to that, (for some people) is that the glow will not shine through the lower grill opening. I mounted the rear one to the side of the spare wheel carrier sheet metal...obviously on the outside....

I'll try and post some pis of this later....it's probably very difficult to understand.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks for the info everyone, I have them all mounted except the rear one, didn't have time to figure out how to mount it. But about that sheet metal part that Housecat mentioned...is it the metal panel that is directly across from the white bumper piece above the exhaust? If so, it's ok to drill into that? cuz that would be a perfect spot.

Mike

G

·
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
Ok thanks for the info everyone, I have them all mounted except the rear one, didn't have time to figure out how to mount it. But about that sheet metal part that Housecat mentioned...is it the metal panel that is directly across from the white bumper piece above the exhaust? If so, it's ok to drill into that? cuz that would be a perfect spot.

Mike
Yep it is okay to drill there. I have already done it, i can take pics if that helps

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kinda ghetto rigged it by using zip-ties and tying them to the rear bumper, but underneath where there's three 'clips' that hold the bumper there. It's kinda crooked, but I'd like to see the way you did it.

Mike

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
I kinda ghetto rigged it by using zip-ties and tying them to the rear bumper, but underneath where there's three 'clips' that hold the bumper there. It's kinda crooked, but I'd like to see the way you did it.

Mike
I used the clamps that came with mine and used the top holes on the tie hooks to support it up underneath the bumper... you can't see it from the back, and it's protected from flying crap - I'll take a picture if anyone is interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.