New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to mount an amp to the sub box? I don't know much about this stuff, but I would figure the vibration would not be too good for the amp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I HAVE BEEN TOLD IF YOU ARE RUNNING A BIG SETUP NOT TO MOUNT ON THE BOX B/C THE FLEX FROM THE PRESSURE ON THE BOX CAN DAMAGE THE AMP...IF IT IS SOMTHING SMALL IT IS SAFE BUT IT DOES MAKE IT EASIER FOR SOMEONE TO STEAL...I HAVE HAD MY AMPS ON THE BOX IN A DIFFERENT CAR...NO PROBLEM

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok...Im gonna have a 10 inch Kicker comp with a 220 watt Alpine amp.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
the vibrations might not be good for it...but it should be fine with one 10. I had my amp on a 2 10 bandpass and it was fine...now it is really close to my 15" solobaric but its ok...its a crappy amp so it'd screw up no matter where I mount it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
only real problems would be if you used screws that were too long and went through the box...especially if you get a bigger or smaller amp or move it now you will have holes that will make it sound like crap..and not to mention it is a whole lot easier to steal if it is all together like that....and likewise if you used screws that were short enough as to not gothrough the box they would barely bit in an would eventually vibrate out...which will shake the crap out of the innerds of your amp (it should be able to take it) i cant see a box flexing enough to bend or break an amp though..after all by mounting your amp to the side you are actually bracing the box from the outside.. holes will be your biggest ememy..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Also if you do use a long screw, be sure to remove the bits of enclosure that broke off from the screw penetrating the wood. Actually you shouldnt be as lazy to leave the sub on the box, so it shouldnt be too much trouble to clean out the inside. Then a bit of silicone on the inside of enclosure around screw just to keep it airtight.
The issue of theft would to mount the enclosue to car with long bolts. Drilling into the car's trunk has its problems, like gas tank and more holes. I simply bolted small angle brackets to the wheel well and then bolted those to the sub enclosure. No shifting and definatly harder to steal. Drawbacks to that installation is the holes in the trunk mat, there are always drawbacks to installations. So whatever works for you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yeah, my buddy who helped me through my stereo installation told me that it's not the best setup to mount it on the box. You obviously want it upright for best performance, just on the side of the trunk or whatnot.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i think lying flat is the best for the amp in terms of heat dissappation but upright is far better then on the side of a box...lord only hopes the box is bolted down so it doesnt slide around and bash the amp off anything back there..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts