New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Ive always wanted to ride a bike, and yes Im 18, but that doesnt mean I take the idea immaturely going to pop wheelies and speed, not at all..

Honestly, theres alot of nice roadways and long rides I go for normally that I could see being quite enjoyable for 6-7 months of the year..

I've looked into prices of good beginner bikes (nothing too fast) and they seem affordable, (I'd keep the cougar for my winter and when I had passangers in the spring/summer/early fall)

But how much would it typically cost to insure a sports bike for someone who will be 19-20 by the time they get the liscence and such.. (And if your speaking from experaince what did the coverage include?)

(P.S I know it varies by location but ballpark or ideas are just helpful, not expecting exact numbers)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well, Ive always wanted to ride a bike, and yes Im 18, but that doesnt mean I take the idea immaturely going to pop wheelies and speed, not at all..

Honestly, theres alot of nice roadways and long rides I go for normally that I could see being quite enjoyable for 6-7 months of the year..

I've looked into prices of good beginner bikes (nothing too fast) and they seem affordable, (I'd keep the cougar for my winter and when I had passangers in the spring/summer/early fall)

But how much would it typically cost to insure a sports bike for someone who will be 19-20 by the time they get the liscence and such.. (And if your speaking from experaince what did the coverage include?)

(P.S I know it varies by location but ballpark or ideas are just helpful, not expecting exact numbers)
When I was 19 (I'm 22 now) I had a 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 750.

The CHEAPEST insurance I could find was $1700/year for full coverage.

The sucky thing was it had to be paid in 6 months since you can't ride year round in Maine.

I checked on insurance last year for a 2007 CBR 600 and it was only something like $1000/year.

I'd suggest any 600cc supersport bike that is currently on the market personally.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
93 a month for full coverage x 7 month riding season = 651
24 a month for storage x 5 months of winter = 120

I have my motorcycle insurance set the same as my auto policy to get multiple discounts. Liability is 200,000/500,000, 1,000 Medical payments, and 100,000/300,000 for uninsured/underinsured. All of this with a 1000 dollar deductible. I am with Allied / Nationwide and have way too many policies with them and so do my parents so they cut us a pretty good deal.

I made the best decision of my life to get a bike, you wont regret it man! Insurance is 1/2 of what it cost me to insure my Cougar too, so that's something to think about as well.

Edit: oh! I am 20 with 3 speeding tickets and one at-fault accident on my driving record.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I paid 120 a year for my 20 yr old 500cc thumper...
consider getting something smaller like a ninja
since you aren't going to be popping "wheelies
and speeding".. ;) you don't have to convince us.
I know if I had a crotch rocket I'd do something stupid.
Thats why I went small for my first bike. Now the next bike
that might be a different story.

·
Registered
746 Posts
For my victory a 1600+cc bike, with no experience except dirt bikes, and 2 tickets at 23 I'm paying 81 dollars a month. I have a friend who pays 90 dollars a year for his though. a smaller bike a little older a lot more riding experience.

I'm running the same specs as J-man on insurance for my bike, except I have 100 dollar deductibles for comp collision, through progressive. I have heard of some cheap companies out there but progressive is a decent company for motorcycle insurance.

I went big for my first bike, because it is nice a comfy. If you get a small bike in 6 months you will want to upgrade to something larger I have watch friends do it over and over so I went as big as I could afford. If you are looking for long rides I would say don't get a crotch rocket. They are uncomfortable for long rides. Today I did a 5 hour ride on my bike and I can walk just fine my neighbor who went with me on his CBR600 has been walking with a limp since our first stop an hour or so into the ride.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(To everyones replies!)

Thank you all firstly to your input and Im so glad to hear low numbers, cause guess what!

I talked to the mother (the strict of the two parents) and she said I can get a permit/bike next bike season, as long as I wait 2 years from now to get my full license as I'll be 20 by then and she hopes either more mature or the phase will have passed..

I have sincerely dreamed of riding, and in those dreams I have felt a feeling of complete euphoria. (And I admit on an open highway or two on dry roads I wont be a stranger to the throttle, but I dont have the balls to go faster then my own comfort)

I do not plan on getting a small small bike as I know I'll want an upgrade really fast, but I dont want to get something stronger then I can afford, I do want to get a "crotch rocket" cause Im not the cliche harley guy and I dont plan on going on rides longer then an hour as there is literally no place to ride longer then an hour too unless I went to NYC which is stuiped onna bike, or car..

I would start looking into bikes, but I have a whole year to wait, anyone got any suggestions for a good starting size, keeping in mind I am looking for a thrill, cant afford to upgrade too soon after getting my first bike, and cant afford high high insurance as Im going to be also insuring the cougar still..

Thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Any sport bike in the 600 - 650cc range is a good bet, good starter bike not to much power but enough give you any thrills you are looking for. Personally I'm a fan of the CBR600RR but thats just me. I'm sure that others will chime in with their favorites.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and I agree, a 600ish will be fine for you to start on so long as you get comfortable with your skills and stuff maybe even from a safety course.
Yea as I dont know anyone that actively rides a motorcycle (Girlfriends dad used to but sold his) I was wondering what would be the next best method of learning

I assume theres got to be a "drivers ed" type program, or something, anyone else have to learn and not know someone?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Look for a motorcycle safety foundation courses in your area a lot of the local bike shops should know when or where you can sign up for them I know mine is going to run 75 dollars for 2.5 days they supply the bikes you bring a helmet, gloves and boots. plus jeans and long sleave shirt or jacket.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
If you are even remotely interested in riding a motorcycle take the MSF course. They teach you all of the basics and it was great for a person like me who had no experience riding prior to taking it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Internet shopping for a bike is stupid so makes sure you are sitting on all different types to see which fits you best.
Understandable, but since Im not purchasing the bike til spring, (same time Im taking the course) Im just browsing at options..

As of right now a GSXR sounds good, R6 sounds perdy too.. But I'll have to go down to dealerships and see how I like the feel of em.

Ive never wanted to skip the winter being an avid snowboarder, but now.. I cant get the thought of my first time onna bike outta my mind and want so badly for it to be spring.

EDIT: My girlfriends dad who used to ride a "hog" wants to talk to me about how a 600CC is too much and I should look at a 250-400CC.. he said maybe 500 but that'd be too much.. Please tell me hes wrong, cause at 250-400CC am I right in thinking I'd outgrow the bike too fast and being a college student I cant afford to trade in a bike and get a new one inna year, just cause I have 600CC doesnt mean Imma full throttle it and get on it like its 600CC..

·
Registered
224 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the GSXR, the R6 is a straight track bike with a real uncomfortable riding position. Sit on both and you'll see what I mean. As for the size, start with and keep the 600. I made the mistake of starting on a 250 and it cost me $500 after a month (trade, etc). Just realize you will want to go balls to the wall once you get the hang of it. Just be smart enough to keep that urge controlled and ride safe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts