New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if i am over looking...and i have looked. but from reading some stuff lately on here and on ceg and didnt find a definite answer. is it necessary to swap over the 2.5 timing cover and front valve cover if you're doing a full 3.0 swap? if this is one of those threads that needs to be killed or locked just shoot me a pm with the answer...thanks

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts
Timing cover will need to be swapped for the 2.5L one. I don't see why you would want to swap the valve cover. I remember seeing Kinger's engine and he ran with both 3.0L valve covers. Depending on if you want to keep the IMRC you will have to rig something up to hold it in its previous place because the 3.0L valve covers won't have holes to screw it down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
why does everyone assume that the 3.0l valve covers (and engines for that matter) do not have imrc?! all the duratec's from 96-99/00 had them.

Brad

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Everyone assumes because most straight swaps are post 2000 oval port heads with NO IMRC. Pre-2000 do have the mounting studs for the IMRC and the 2.5 one mounts right up...drawback is you have to use the EWP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
is there an advantage to using a lim that has no secondaries? (3l engine with 3l upper). On an engine with TRUE dual length runners (ie 2.5l uim) imrc would be a huge advantage, but on a 3.0luim, im not sure if it would help or hinder..........any insight?!

Brad

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Some say there is a benefit to using the secondaries, others say that the 3L upper hardware is more free flowing. Ford never changed the rating of the engine when they switched so I don't know. My opinon is that the 2.5L upper and secondaries is damn near race technology and don't know why anyone would want to rip them out...I think Ford did something right by developing the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts