New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'99 ATX

I put the 1/2" copper pipe can in and it has seemed to help the moosing sound, but it's still there at times. I used a 7/32" hole.

My mossing sound was pretty bad, some people said it stopped after the car warmed up, but mine never did I don't think. It also never moosed at idle much, just when when driving. Would do it when the throttle was being held in too, not just when letting off of it. If I acclerated hard though, that would usually make it go away.

So anyway, should I make the hole smaller? Replace the IAC valve (couldn't find it on fordpartsonline.com)? Or since the pipe cap didn't work, am I barking up the wrong tree altogether? It did HELP, but it still does it at times(although at a different pitch), so I think it is the moosing sound problem everyone else is having.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Yep, just replace that IAC valve. Fordpartsonline does not list it, that I know of. Your dealership will carry it, or at least be able to order one.

Honestly, it's not hurting anything; the noise is just kinda embarrassing. But it will freeze up eventually. Replacing is the best thing.

Choking off the IACV hose with a cap is gonna be bad...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most of my "moosing" sound ended up being the power steering pump (had it replaced). I also change the IACV and didn't notice much improvement. It still has a little of a moosing sound, I've just given up on trying to track it down and consider it just part of owning a Cougar. :confused:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just wait it out and see how this "fix" goes.

Are there how-to's on replacing the IAC valve? I'm not very mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
506 Posts
actually the moosing noise that I had turned out to be my wheel bearing. It only started when I started going and went away when I turned right. And it sounded just like the moosing from the IAC valve. Also see if the noise changes when you rev in neutral. The ps pump should change with rpm.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Originally posted by: ItzCryptic
I may just wait it out and see how this "fix" goes.

Are there how-to's on replacing the IAC valve? I'm not very mechanically inclined.

This photo was taken for the little red vacuum line, but there's a good shot of the IAC valve in it. See the bolt going into the intake manifold, and the plug on the other end of it (behind the green vacuum line)? Remove those, and one other bolt on the bottom of the flange (hidden in this pic), and it falls right off.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, finally got the IAC valve. So is there some sort of trick to getting the bolt on the bottom out? I can't even see it, nevermind reach it or get a wrench back up in there.

I'm letting my engine cool off right now, it's still a little warm.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
I used a socket and a short extension on a 1/4" drive ratchet. You pretty much cannot get a wrench on it, only a socket.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, i can get a socket on as long as it's not attatched to a ratchet. The extenion i have is too long, i hit the firewall with the ratchet trying to get it on.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got it changed. I think I have a problem though...I started it up, and it DID NOT sound right at all (moosing x 10), I checked the RPMS and they looked normal, so I shut it back off. I didn't disconnect the battery when I changed it...does that make a difference? It's disconnected now.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible for the new valve to be f-ed up already?!?

OMG, I think maybe this is what moosing is? If so, then I definatly didn't have it before. This is the worst sound I've ever heard my car make. Ughh. I don't know WTF to do now...I can't drive it making THAT noise!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the IAC moosing, I took the IAC off and took it apart. Cleaned and lubricated it, put it back on and havent had mooing for almost 2 years... FWIW

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
What did you lubricate it with?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts