New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been a week and about 1000 miles after I changed to Mobil-1 and all I can say is that anyone who want a smoother, more responsive engine should switch to it. It's waaayyyy awesome. Cheapest 'mod' I did IMO. the $26 I paid for it was deffinitely worth it. Pretty much the lowend was smoother although not really noticeable but once you rev it all the way to 6K+, man my engine is just smoooooth yeah!!!!! Power delivery is noticably better and smoother. Plus, I think my milage also improved. So if anybody's planning on changing their oil anytime soon, I DEFINITELY recommend Mobil-1. I think a qoute from Gone in 60secs would best describe using Mobil-1 in you car, 'It'll be a stream-line butterfly!'.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Is it just me, or does the V6 seem to want its oil changed every 2000 miles?

It wasn't really noticable until I got my intake, but it seems like 2000 miles after every oil change, the engine starts to sound slightly rough. I've waited the 3000 miles the last two times, but I may change it right now at about 2200 this time.

This is with Mobil-1 5w30, BTW.

Maybe it's just me and my lead foot?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I switched just about 4500 miles ago (around 10k miles) and my engine runs just like it did with the regular oil. No big change that I can feel. I think its the "i spent more money so it must be better/faster" syndrome. Im sure its doing its job though.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I stopped changing my own oil after getting the coug. It only costs a couple bucks more to go to the dealer than jiffy, and they wash and vacuum her for me too. Plus, they don't get grease all over my door handle and window switches.

G

·
I changed my oil at about 900 miles, then 2500 odo, then about 5400 odo.
At 8400 odo, I put in Mobil 1. Gas mileage went up.
History for me: used Mobil 1 on 92 Integra on second oil change...too soon...engine did not break in until about 28,000 miles. But i will tell you this, when i sold that car at 119,000 miles, that engine was running like a charm.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Let's see....

First oil change at 3400. Mobil 1
second oil change at 6200 Mobil 1
third oil change at 8900 Mobil 1
fourth one... I'm at 11200 right now, and I'll probably do it sometime next week. She sounds like she wants one.

The way I drive, the engine's getting broken in no matter what oil I use

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
i really think the whole oil change at 3000-5000 miles is gay.

1st change 14,300
2nd change 24,500

Have had it since sept. 98 and have only ahd 2 oil cahnges, i always put that thing from teh infomercial in though, the one that says you can drive without oil.

G

·
I changed the oil in my taurus every 10,000 miles or so, and only had a radiator hose blow in 130,000 miles. I was doing my own oil changes, and talking about sludge... I mean oil. My cougar, different story every 3,000-5,000 miles.

G

·
And here is my opinion on synthetics. It doesn't make a difference worth the cost of the oil to use synthetic unless you go by Brandon's plan.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I know someone who went 22000 miles without changing the oil in a new-at-the-time Dodge Shadow. The engine seized and he managed to get it fixed under warantee by having his friend print up fake oil change reciepts.

Be careful there Brandon...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
An unexpected bonus-

The MSDS headers make it a buttload EASIER to get that (*&@#%!! filter out- There's plenty of room in there now- No more giving my car the reach-around while the pre-cats burn the hell outta my arm (my car BRANDED me!)

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
2 times ago when i changed my oil i noticed that my block heater wire melted all over the block an donto the oil filter.... i remember i was in the chat room trying to figure it out and someone mentioned that.... was kinda funny cause now i have this orange crap on the block
.... anyhow

brandon - you are just asking to wear your engine out... giving that you are pretty young you prolly run the car pretty hard. I wouldn't doubt that if you tore your engine apart you would find all your rings are considerably worn down, you are prolly already getting blow by in the combustion chamber and already losing power.... oil is the lifeblood of your engine (now i sound like that valvoline comercial)... would you want to have your body full of bad and cruted blood, not to mention that with time oil slowly burns away so you are prolly running low which is even worse.

also i hope that whenever anyone here changes their oil (unless they do it every 2000 miles) they also change the filter too.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
My change at 15K, I switched to Mobil 1 ... cost me $50 at Texaco Express Lube. So, to save myself money, I will be doing all my own changes from here on. Case (6qts) of 5W30 Mobil 1 at Walmart cost me $27, funnel cost $1, and the Motorcraft filter cost me $7 from the dealer (now looking elsewhere) = I save $15. So, at 20K I changed my oil and my tranny fluid. I also discoved why my car was running low on oil for the last 1K ... the filter was hand loose with a nice long drip line down the side. The car took 5.5 quarts ... .5 to prime the filter, and the other 5 to fill her up. I think that we are extremely safe with Mobil 1 changes every 5K ... could probably go to 7.5K, but why chance it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.