New Cougar Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Balls, baby. Balls.

I used a 320 grit Flex-Hone. I think a slightly rougher grit might have been a good idea but done is done. 320 isn't ridiculously smooth, it should be okay.

I also used a new toilet brush for the cleaning. That was pretty good but I would have liked something larger.

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Ford Rod bolts are expensive. Luckily, it looks like Polaris Rangers use the same bolt for half the price.

Reactions: StuartGrant

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The RockAuto stork arrived today...New main bearings and front and rear oil seals.
Interesting that the rear seal comes with an installation tool included, I wasn't expecting that. I figured I would just improvise with some PVC or something.
I wont install the crank this weekend, maybe next weekend though. Need to get a dial indicator.

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Painted the block black this weekend and bought a dial indicator. Hoping to get back to making a little progress every week. Next up is installing the crank.

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
General paint scheme plan for this build:

I might try anodizing the yellow stuff but that will depend on cost when I get to that point.

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was on a parts ordering spree for my other car yesterday and snuck some rod bolts in because somebodies Facebook post reminded me that I still need them. FordPartsGiant had them for $1.61 so that was pretty reasonable. This build is pretty low on my priority list since I don't even know what I would put it in at this point, but I would really like to get it done and on the shelf this year. Having a drivetrain waiting for a car makes projects a lot easier to justify.
I need some rod bushings next, then I should have everything I need for the short block. I'll order those after I recover from what I spent yesterday. 🤦‍♂️
I'm not really sure what my plan is for the top end right this minute, I've got the hardware to do pretty much any configuration I want...I'll probably just do a hybrid with 3.0 cams to keep things as simple as possible for installation.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
No complaints here with hybrid/3.0 cams. Robust setup, but needs to breathe! 2.5 intake manifolds will disappoint without some serious extruding.

I wonder if the aluminum split-port 3.0 manifolds with the large plenum would flow better than an SVT manifold...

· Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ugh!
I've been wrestling with wanting to build a custom intake for as long as I can remember. I was trying to put it behind me in the interest of simplicity but you woke it back up again! 🤦‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

I do believe the split port heads are a problem, and the overly complicated 2.5 IM's only exacerbate that problem. I don't really see coughing up the dough for a 1-off extrude hone, and finding any of the few remaining in existence seems like a longshot at best. Maybe I'll do something different.

I've got one of the split port 3.0 UIM's in my basement. I've been wanting to build a test rig and get some hard data from the various configurations. Maybe I'll try to work that into my schedule before I build the top end. Those sure are ugly though.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts