New Cougar Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I think the motor I'm building on the bench for my next car is going to get 3.0l cams.
I THINK the Cougar cams and 3.0l cams are close enough that I can run a stock PCM for initial startup. I know a tune will be needed for larger injectors but that can wait until after the car is functional.

Can anyone confirm my understanding that un-tuned Cougar PCM + 3.0 cams are compatible?

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I think I answered my own question. Looks like the 3.0 cams are wildly different.
Shouldve read this

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Upon closer inspection of those specs, it looks like the stock PCM would be closer to the 3.0 profile than the SVT PCM is, so a stock computer would be the best choice, but I still dont know if it will run or not.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
FWIW, I was competing in my 3.0 car, with 3L cams, on a stock SVT Contour PCM. I didn't want to run a 3.0 on 17# injectors; it needed the SVT fuel tables and injector volume at the very least to cope with the increased displacement, and was relatively happy with those, clearly.

Cam timing is what it is on this engine; the fuel tables and spark timing are the variables you want to address electronically, and the SVT PCM does a good job.

Also - I have a SFG2 SVT PCM with key chip here with no place to put it, so let me know if that might be something you're interested in. It's for a return system, and mine's returnless.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
That's good to know that it ran on an SVT computer, I thought you had SVT cams in your car too. I suppose the PCM will figure it out.
I'm not ready to buy another PCM right now because this project is still in its infant stages and doesnt even have a car attached to it yet.

·
Administrator
15,530 Posts
My SVT Contour also ran great with the stock SVT PCM and 19# injectors with a 3.0 hybrid (2002 heads, SVT cams).

·
Administrator
11,594 Posts
Can anyone confirm my understanding that un-tuned Cougar PCM + 3.0 cams are compatible?
My '04 full 3l swap with 24# injectors started and ran on the stock computer in my '00. It actually ran without the whole UIM assembly on it briefly as a test fire, but once that was on it was able to idle enough to get datalogs for a baseline e-tune.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts