New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, I was thinking of new cars today, and I was thinking about a new eclipse. Of course I would get one with a v6 and manual tranny. It seems these cars have pretty good potential, but I'm not sure. What do you all know about this car, would it be good? I know the aftermarket is there, but is it reliable and such? I just thought I'd ask y'all what you thought of this car. I'm gonna check to see if there are any forums for this car, but if you have any input, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

-Eric

·
Registered
832 Posts
Total waste of money. The highest model costs only $3000 less than a Evo and the Evo bests it in every way. Even the base V6 models are over priced for the money. You could get a V8 Mustang for the cost of a V6 Eclipse.

Now if you want to get a used late model 2gen Eclipse TURBO, that's a different story. Nothing but potential with those cars and if you get a AWD...look out.

Go to www.edmunds.com and check the other cars the Eclipse compares too and how they rate it. But the only Mitsubishi I'd consider buying if I had the cash would be an EVO.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
DSM is becoming the new Civic... around here, EVERYONE and their mother has a DSM and is modding them

G

·
they are pieces of crap and way over priced. our cougars smoke them anyway so why would you want something you see like 500 a day of

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I own one. been the proud owner for about a month now. brand new GTS silver 5 speed. I love it. go get one. neweclipse.org

:wave: EDIT: hey rlh134 u didnt know a cougar could smoke a eclipse. after all my cougar had a 16.6 1/4 mile time where my eclipse has a 14.9. soooo NvMyEclipse :loser:

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I would be very careful when buying a 2nd gen turbo eclipse.

(if you think cougars have problems check this out!)

They have 50% chance of CrankWalk.
95-96 had timing belt problems.
The trannys are also weak

Crankwalk is where the crankshaft will begin to wobble..and hence totally destroying the engine. Mods will increase the risk of this happening, and may totally void any chance of claiming crankwalk under warrenty.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Also, the turbo eclipse is one of the most sought after cars by the younger crowd because all you need is a boost controller and you are running fast as hell. Watch out for signs that the car has been abused. Most of them have been beaten mercilessly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts