New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home last night and building my speed up to 90mph. The cel started blinking. I freaked the heck out and slowed down and pulled over. I turned my car off. I sat around for a while, started the car back up, then went home with no problem. Should I get the car checked out? The light didn't blink on the way to school today so should I be fine?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am curious as to why you think your car misfired? A CEL will come on for various reasons... Believe me - I have been fighting to keep mine off ever since I bought the car! I think I have replaced just about every sensor there is!!! It'll go off for a while, then pop back on for some other reason!!! Try to reset the light by pulling the negative battery cable for a few minutes and see if it comes back. It might have just been triggered accidentally.

C

·
0 Posts
There's a difference between the CEL coming on at random and the CEL blinking. When it just comes on, it can be just a sensor or it could've just accidentally gotten triggered. If it starts blinking, that means there's a misfire.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Blinking CEL = you did the right thing! Misfire is bad. Mine did that when I had a plug wire pop off the coil...ran home 13 miles late at night from work on 5 cylinders and it felt like I had 1 cylinder working! It was horrible. Luckily turned out to be a plug wire off...I thought I completely blew the motor. Check all your connections. Hopefully its something simple like that.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it bad though, i mean im taking it in tomorrow, but can i still drive it around until then?

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it isn't giving you any other problems and the cel stays off you shouldn't have a problem. Take it to Advanced Auto Parts...they will read the code for yea for free...then just pull the negative cable of the battery for like 20 seconds...resets the codes...if it comes back on then I would take it to the dealer and get it check over...especially if you are still under warranty...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it in the shop and no codes came up at all. Whats the deal with this, he says it is fine, yet the engine is making a strange noise and it feels like i have a 3cyl geo metro when i drive it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts