New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2000 Cougar yesterday, and loving it!!!... just had a couple of early-on questions.

1. I notice that when I utilize the Cruise Control, there is no dash led or light saying that it is in use... Is it really missing, or maybe my light is burned out?
2. I read in the manual that the driver side window should have a one-touch auto down feature. Mine doesn't seem to have that, I have to continue to hold down the button to bring it down. Is that normal?
3. I've been reading that some people have had problems with the fuel pump - is it true that you should keep the tank above 1/4 full to avoid any pump problems?
4. The car came with the factory 6 disc CD changer, which I will be removing in a month or so... but for the meantime, it sometimes reads the CD's, and sometimes it doesn't. Any thoughts ?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Welcome to FastCougar!!! I think I can answer your questions for you...

1) There isn't a light that tells you it is on.
2) To activate the one touch down, you have to press and release the button pretty quick. If it still doesn't work, something must be wrong with the switch. I remember hearing that the one touch is done through a relay connected to the switch - but I'm not 100% sure of that. Either way, you can get the switch or relay from fordpartsonline.com.
3) Our fuel pump is inside the gas tank and uses the gas to cool itself. If you keep more gas in the tank, it wont burn itself out as easily.
4) Dirty laser maybe??? Or maybe you are trying to play CD-R's?

·
Rockin' Mom-mobile
8,010 Posts
Are you talking about the rear or in dash cd changer. Mine is 2000 and the cd changer is in the trunk. It would go in and and out a lot, but I quit using it. My cd's were coming out scratched, some to the point of having to buy another one. :(

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
nope, we got cut off :(

welcome to the boards Omes!! be sure to check out the Toronto chapter of this forum... lots of good people to meet there :)

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Yes, my 2001 has a cruise control light as well. Maybe they added that feature in the 01-02 models.

My pass. side window does not have the auto-down feature. I don't think my 2001 is suppose to have it. My driverside does though :)

Anyways, welcome to NECO!

Darrell.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had issues w/ the trunk mounted CD changer, where it wouldn't play my CD's or eject the magazine out of the player. If you plan on changing it out, just leave it, otherwise if you plan on using it perminently or for quite awhile anyways, just pick-up a used one off someone here from the boards, like $100<. I tried to have the dealer take it to be serviced and the company they ship 'em out to wanted something like $230 just to look at it, no promises of a fix. Good luck w/ your new car!

·
Registered
487 Posts
i had a 6 disc changer in my first cougar, and i had the same problem. I'm assuming that your using cd-r's too because they dont seem to read them very well..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I used to have a factory indash changer untill i went to remove it to install my new deck.. :)

about 5 butter knives and a hack-saw later it was out and i no longer have a changer heh!
Someone must have tried to remove it before me and failed.
If you bend the keys that hold it in with the din tool you are screwed because the dash does not come apart unless the stereo is out.

But yea, mine also wouldnt read the cd sometimes on the first try but eventually would work

With the auto down button, try 'double clicking' real fast like on a mouse that works for mine.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Originally posted by: vSpanky
I haven't had any troubles with my factory in-dash 6 CD Changer playing CD-Rs
I also have a light for cruise control.

^ What he said

Factory in-dash's rock.....everyone who sees mine is like daaaamn thats nice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts