New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the Mintex brake pads from James and I have a question. I went to get them installed and the guy said that they would most likely squeak because they are the cheap kinds. I just wanted to know if anyone else has purchased these before and had a problem with squeaking.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
When i first installed mine they squeaked, so i went to Advance Auto and got this anti-squeak stuff. You smear it on the back of the pad and they don't squeak. Since you're getting them installed rather than doing it yourself then you just might have to deal with them squealing. Since he pointed out that they're "the cheap ones," i assume they've got more expensive ones to sell. ;)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Dude.. spend the $3 on a tube of that stuff, pull the pads off, smear it on the back and put the pads back on. If you need directions on how IM or PM me. Trust me, it's not hard.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
ok thats just bad. The mintex pads are NOT cheap. I've had mine for a while and alot of miles. No squeking b\c I used the $1 packets from autozone that go on the BACK of the pad. On the metal part that the caliper pushes on. The actual pads don't squek on brakes, it's a damn vibration and the lube fixes that.

Oh, and usually a garage says that so you'll return yours then they order the same ones and mark up the price 20% to make more $$ off of you!

trust me, I work at an autozone...oh and commercial accts get 20% of all parts and then they make up the price 20% over our NORMAL price.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I've gone through 3 or 4 sets of Mintex pads... and I've yet to have a single set squeek,
except when they are nearing the end of their lives
I've also never used anti sqeak or anti squeak backing pads.

And I would highly recommend doing this yourself... its so easy (even for the mecanically retarded)
it will make you cry that you actually paid someone to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts