New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ah where to begin..... So I have had this car for about 12 years now and pretty much ever since then I have wanted to swap to a 3.0. But all the years of being a teenager, making stupid decisions and life got in the way. All the last few years of part searching, waiting, repairing and utterly dumping all my money into a car, are about to pay off..... finally.

So here is what the build will be consisting of;
ENGINE
2003 MPV hand rebuilt by yours truly.
King Bearings
Sealed power rings
oil Squirters drilled into block
ARP head studs
oil cooler, dmd.
SVT ECU and injectors
stage 4 "hot rod" race ported heads 10.5:1CR with SERDI cut valve job by cfm performance
SVT cams
SVT manifolds port matched with bugzuki plates
optimized SVT LIM and TB (haven't decided if I will tune the secondaries out or not)
coated msds headers, y-pipe.
custom exhaust
150 shot direct port nitrous:evil:

TRANSMISSION
3.8 FD
Slick shift forks
updated shift tower with roll pins
Torsen LSD
RAM powergrip clutch
SVT flywheel
all new bearings and preloads built by yours truly. (see my trans build thread for more)
all new axles and axle support

SUSPENSION
new rear subframe with boxed mounts
konis dropped on h&r springs
new Ford 4 bolt control arms
4 bolt subframe swap
tubular rear toe arms
poly rear sway links
19mm sway bar
freedom fstb
subframe connectors
SVT rack and pinion (quicker ratio)

BRAKES
stainless braided lines
EBC redstuff
EBC rotors

So the build started with the transmission which is already completed(see transmission thread if interested). Then the next step was to take a drive to NJ to pick up a 101k Mazda MPV motor for $350.

PS this place is the bomb diggity

dmd and 02 cougar front cover

SVT oil cooler... notice they left the cats on for me.... thanks guys!! $$$

After pulling the first motor apart it ended up being a dud due to overheating. Number 2 piston had seized and lent some of its metal to the cylinder walls... how thoughtful:rolleyes:
I called the JY and they ended up sending me a second motor which looked a LOT better.

I am assuming the benefits of this engine swap are generally well known but just in case anyone is wondering it is a DIRECT swap. Has the right oil pan, motor mount, timing cover also while having a DMD and a SVT oil cooler. basically mazda rooted through the bins to find all the goodies... Also it comes with what equates to a st200 lim as well (have 2 if anyone wants em)

So currently I am waiting on a barrage of parts to come in. also my heads are at CFM performance at the moment getting massaged by them. eta for those is a few weeks. So the bottom end assembly will be first. many pictures to follow.

ETA for the car to be done sans nitrous late april early may. will be making it to fest this year... finally

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did I miss the part about you putting forged rods and pistons in? Don't even try this with stock rods or you will have a big hole in the block in 5 seconds flat.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you asked actually! So while normally with nitrous, yes that would be totally true. A normal one nozzle nitrous set up normally has the effect of "spiking" one cylinder with more nitrous than the others causing extreme stress to the ONE piston and rod and then kablooey.... The direct port nitrous is well exactly that. Each cylinder has the exact same balanced spray of fuel and nitrous which gives several benefits. One is its MUCH safer. You have a 150 shot spread to 6 cylinders evenly. So this means about 25 extra hp per cylinder (not taking losses into account). Two the nitrous has a natural cooling effect which helps prevent detonation. Three I will be using oil squirters to help keep the pistons cool which helps with detonation. It will also be a dual stage kit so basically I can choose 75 or 150 depending on what I'm doing or traction issues which is again even safer.

Now are you telling me that is not something a stock semi forged piston and semi forged rod cant take?! I say that's b.s. for a few reasons. The noble guys use our stock block with oil squirters and can safely keep 400hp for long periods of time. There are a few that have gone even higher HP levels and as far as I know are still together. STI pistons stock are the same hypereutectic as we use and as we know can go to about 400 hp on two less cylinders and be reliable. There have been a few people to run 100 shots on the smaller 2.5 for many many many bottles before the thing blows.

I honestly don't think people give our stock set up enough credit for what it is.

I also Didn't mention it but obviously I will be doing dyno tuning/sct chipping/ 2 different tunes and safety all to be built into the system. I may use a separated fuel system for the n20 setup filled with c16. I set the date I did for the car sans nitrous because I figure that will be a next winter project once the car has been nicely broken in and all.

Given all this there are still some out there saying forged pistons and rods meh meh meh. To which I say I actually got TWO engines for the original $350 I spent. The second block would be a nice candidate for a massive bore-over, forged pistons, rods, balanced crank, blueprinted etc. So when/ if this engine does blow I won't really care as I have another block ready to be built.... Sitting... Waiting for a nice turbo or possibly a 200 shot with progressive controller :biggrin:

·
Registered
867 Posts
You may be able to get away with reusing stock pistons. But the rods are well documented to be complete garbage and fail on completely stock engines. One of the engineers involved in designing the car has even written up an in depth post about it on fordcontour.org. With that said some people just build these things and thrash them on stock pistons and rods considering the blocks to be throwaways because they are relatively cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Your delusional if you think that stuff will hold 200 shot more than a couple times.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure a forged piston, rod set up could hold a 200 shot no problem. The 150 shot to the stock block is iffy at best. Like I said I won't really care if it does blow as long as it doesn't mess the heads up too bad considering the money into them. Fastcougar was running about 500 to to the wheels and he blew due to detonation. Keeping that at bay is the key to keeping a high horsepower engine together. The oil squirters will go a long way to keeping it all happy but more so a very good tune will be key to all this.

I didn't label this thread stupid and ridiculous for nothing man. It's my money and if I wanna try to keep this high of hp together why not? As far as I know no one has ever done direct port and oil squirters. We shall see

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Since you're using the MPV block, use the 01-02 alternator. You need a pigtail that you can order separately for around $10 and the 01 alternator, and never worry about how much of a pain it'll be to change the alt again.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My car did 125 several times before dying. It actually died from a messed up piston ring.which caused oil starvation. Which lead to a spun bearing.

Straight lines make me giggle.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
subscribed. i like thread a good build thread! since mines at a crawl. lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jaged, I would definitely be interested in the manifold assuming it is a SVT like mine. Would be nice not to have to drill mine. Pm me some pictures keep me updated.

Stuart, I was thinking about using the 02 front cover and alternator but the alternator is currently out of the budget. Years ago I bought a duralast Gold alternator and since the one in the car now is dead the car will have another free alternator put in it. I could always change the bracket and front cover in the car if I really wanted to. (or when it blows a hole in the block from nitrous :biggrin:)

The big box of gaskets, bearings, rings and hone came in, and the block is back from hot tanking. I just need to get a handle on the squirters then assembly and pics to follow:cool:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Where did you get the squirters from?

Straight lines make me giggle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stock rods and pistons will NOT, repeat NOT work with nitrous at any level over 50 hp shot. If you want to spend the 20 hours of labor to pull and replace an engine every week or so, then by all means, go for it. The reason the Noble owners can run over 400 HP forever is they have BOTH forged rods and pistons. No stock parts are in those cars except the block, heads, crank, and oil pump.

After replacing 4 or 5 engines on my turbo 3.0 I finally decided to do it right. Yes it is more money, but my engine makes 500 HP and nearly 500 lbs of torque at the wheels. It is fun, reliable, and an absolutely stupid fast sleeper. I don't race it, just have fun with it ( I have a race car for that ). Don't waste time and money, do it right or don't do it at all.

I see the same posts, year after year, about nitrous, turbos, and superchargers on stock parts. It won't work.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I actually have an engine in my back yard that says these engines will most definitely hold 100hp and above of nitrous with absolutely no problem. Look in the timeslip section of the 1/4 miles times for ilovemycars posting of the time slip the car gave him. He had 125 hp on it on a TOTALLY STOCK 2.5 block crank rods pistons and heads. All that was done to the car was from the lower intake up.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I actually have an engine in my back yard that says these engines will most definitely hold 100hp and above of nitrous with absolutely no problem. Look in the timeslip section of the 1/4 miles times for ilovemycars posting of the time slip the car gave him. He had 125 hp on it on a TOTALLY STOCK 2.5 block crank rods pistons and heads. All that was done to the car was from the lower intake up.
im prettty sure that car lasted 10 runs or something like that

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It actually only messed up a piston ring. I drove the car daily for a few months after I bought it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh then it must be OK. If you want it to run 10 times which causes the piston to melt enough to pinch a ring land then go for it.... Of course once a ring is pinched the motor has to be overhauled since it looses compression and oil control.

Is it just me or does that NOT sound like fun?? What is fun about blowing up an engine?

I know you all think the "Old Guy" is nuts but take it from someone who has been there and done that. Why would you try something that is doomed from the start? My last engine failure nearly tore the block in two, oil was everywhere, entire pistons ended up on the road. I am trying to save you from yourself. In the long run spending $600 on rods and another $600 on pistons will be money well spent.

The labor savings alone will make up for the money spent on good parts. I hated pulling the engine so many times. It is a pain the AZZ.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Oh then it must be OK. If you want it to run 10 times which causes the piston to melt enough to pinch a ring land then go for it.... Of course once a ring is pinched the motor has to be overhauled since it looses compression and oil control.

Is it just me or does that NOT sound like fun?? What is fun about blowing up an engine?

I know you all think the "Old Guy" is nuts but take it from someone who has been there and done that. Why would you try something that is doomed from the start? My last engine failure nearly tore the block in two, oil was everywhere, entire pistons ended up on the road. I am trying to save you from yourself. In the long run spending $600 on rods and another $600 on pistons will be money well spent.

The labor savings alone will make up for the money spent on good parts. I hated pulling the engine so many times. It is a pain the AZZ.
thats why i deleted and modified so many things i can get mine out in 1.5 hours. haha

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I wouldnt call a ring messing up a total disaster where we have pistons exploding and rods breaking and blocks exploding.

Bottom line is the guy knows its going to blow it up. He knows it wont last. He knows replacing things isnt going to be cheap. Its his car. His money. And his time. Why waste all this time saying no you cant do it. its going to do this this and this when everyone who is saying it is completely underestimating the engine just because theyre going to have to rebuild the engine soon or even replace it and do all the work that goes with it.

Let the man do what he wants. Thats the damn problem with the forum now days. No one does anything new.

I for one am curious to see if it can take the 25hp extra by using direct port instead of the single nozzle.

Reactions: LostRacer
1 - 20 of 112 Posts