New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trading my 02' cougar in for a 04' Mustang GT.

My payments should be roughly the same. Just my insurance will double. :)

I will know around April if I'm going to follow through with it or not.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mustangs are nice, but I'd wait for the new style Mustang before trading in. Also, think about how much driving you'll need to do in the snow and what a nightmare a rear-wheel drive sports car will be in the snow - even with snow tires.

I thought about a Mustang when I bought my first Cougar in '99, but knew I would be need something that could handle the snow in Denver, and more importantly get me to the ski slopes. Decision = FWD Cougar or 4x4 F150. Cougar was just a better fit in all respects - just needs more power (I'm still working on that)!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, New Mexico doesn't get any snow except in the mountains.

I also don't like the 05' look personally. I'm sure I should wait until the end of the year when the 04' GT's will drop in price to make room for the 05's but I don't know if I can be that patient and I don't know if I would get all the rebates they are having right now. I could get an 04' Premium GT for $19k

Right now I'm driving around in my sister's Neon (yuck) just to keep my miles down on the Cougar.

I was also looking at the SRT-4 but I keep repeating to myself that they're Neons, they're ugly (IMO) & I DON'T need a fast car like that and it being so small. I mean, yeah the SRT-4 would be a pretty dead even race with a GT and the GT is the same price and I would get better gas mileage than the GT in a SRT-4. But ugh..

I also went to the SRT-4 forums (srtforums.com) and the people in there! It looks like it's moderated by 16 year olds. I mean, oiy! And everyone jumps on "BS" right away no matter what anyone says about a race. I don't know, I don't want to be a part of that. Stangnet isn't a bad community and I'll deffinatly be comming back here on the NECO forums.

Well, I'll find out later, around April if I'm getting the GT.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree with you 100% - the SRT-4 is a neon, even if Dodge tries to deny it. Just like a Contour SVT is a Contour. At least with the Mustang, you get a V8 that roars in stock form and has tremendous aftermarket support.

I'm a big fan of the new styling, so that's why I'd wait around for the '05. If you like the current style, you should definitely wait until July or even August to jump on a GT as the hype for the new style picks up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hype for the new style IS already in! There's a LOT of backstock on 04' AND 03' Mustangs, everyone's waiting for the 05' :tongue:

I know I should wait even longer, rumor on Stangnet is that a lot of people are going to trade in their current Mustangs for the 05' model. Meaning I could get a really awesome deal on a used 02-04' Mustang. *sigh* I just really hate waiting!!!

The SRT-4 vs. GT is a driver's race, both run low 14's stock (SRT-4 w/ good driver high 13's). I don't know, I'm not too worried, I don't think I'll be racing many SRT-4s. I wont want to waste my gas, etc..

:shrug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts