New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as some of you know i totalled the body on my purple coug. and so now i have finally bought a shell, you may catch up with my latest suspension built thread here... right before i totalled it.

if you dont know i have a full oval port 3L, and torsen tranny. too many mods too list.

since i have a clean shell i will be replicating my cougar exactly plus a few more goodies:biggrin:.

The plan...
rebuild the 3L, check everything at least.
possibly port the heads
maybe get cams
custom make true dual exhaust
rebuild the I4 tranny and put my torsen in it, i want the 3.8 FD
reweld my camber plates, and reinstall the coilovers setup i had

but for now this is how she sits

tear down began, and my tears started pouring
2 week old struts

custom welded camber plates held up! but you can see the forces they took

more painful images

motor is finally out

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
porting has started! and its a beoooootch

alot...and i mean alot of material is removed. this is only the first step i know its not polished yet. after i get them all done i will take out the sanding bits, and after the polishing pads.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i knew that. i ment that i needed to swap guts if the shafts are the same style

·
Registered
172 Posts
i second jaged. dremel makes some kickass tungsten carbide bits. i've used them to port the heads on another one of my projects. pick up like 6 or so. one for each cylinder.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
There was a thread over on CEG that recommended against the exhaust port matching. The step down from the head to the header is done on purpose to help move the gases out. Search around on google if you want more info. I think I found similar info when I was looking it up a while back. I did port my first 3L exhaust ports but left my new 3L alone. My new 3L feels peppier but the 3L's vary a decent amount from engine to engine / year to year.

Also watch out for oil/water passages in the exhaust area. You don't want to cut into a passage and have a large paperweight.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks and i know about all that stuff. ive done my resarch.

I am using a die grinder with carbide tips but i need a 6 inch long one to reach down into the intake. Either way im doing both, the exhaust ports are sigificantly bigger. I will not loose performace, if anything the headers will cause a ventury effect, and the x-pipe will cause scaveging.
i will be dyno tuning it after so there will be gains

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the porting is done on one head. no its not perfect, but it doesnt have to be

done with material removal, but not polished

exhaust done

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update. i have lapped all the valves and damn sometimes thats a pita. cleaned the piston heads, cleaned the deck surface, pretty much prepped the motor for assembly.

then i take off the girdle and find that my main bearings are sh*t. i mean theres enough scoring on the journals to catch my fingernail a bit. its weird i cant really tell from what, especially because the rod bearings looks brand spankin flawless.

so i ordered clevite main bearings, tomorrow my head will by milled, and i will start tear down on the donor coug.

i gotta ask for advice though, i somehow lost the key to that cougar, and i need to drive it into the garage, is there anyway to hotwire it?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Can't you just push it?
That's what I was thinking. Unless it needs steering... just take the lock cylinder out of the blurple car?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it does need to be steered and also my street is like a 7% grade incline, and so is my driveway. lol. anyways im making a key today.. what a waste of 75 bucks

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally some pics of my new cougar!

heres the damage after i took of the bumper. it looks kinda bad. but me and my buddy bashed it out in about 30 minutes and the fitment looks great. i just need to verify by putting my trunk on

started swapping the interior out. that one wasnt bad but mine is still better. gonna do all seats as well, also the shifter and door panals.

and today my clevite main bearings arrived! so the build of the new motor starts again! excpet the fact i somehow lost a valve spring...:facepalm:. so i need to get one asap so the shop can assemble it. the heads were also milled

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my motor is coming along fantasic! got a few goodies from across the pond!

i also bought myself a little toy (gsxr600:biggrin:) so all my efforts will be on it for a while

meanwhile here are some pics

cleaned and prepped

milled heads

debating on a color scheme

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i havent updated in a while. the car iv been driving around for a while. i ordered materials for a true dual exhaust. working on still getting my st220 manifold spacer. also ordered all 4 new struts because they were all bent. and also the knuckle that got the most impact is also bend about 3/4 of and inch, yikes:eek:.

iv deceided to do a powersteering delete but keep a/c since i will be dailying the car. does anyone know if you can use the i4 a/c lines with the v6? it really looks like you can, but they are shorter and cut accross on top of the tranny instead of around by the fender well.

but in the mean while i got the four banger out in 3 hours and the build continues!

though i am in a bit of a rut... i tryied ordering blockers and syncros from ford and almost of them are not available anymore. how am i suppose to rebuild my tranny?!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Out of curiosity, would you like a rack that is already set up for ps delete?

1 - 20 of 555 Posts