New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know how long my car sat before I got it running ( Probably a couple years those) and it seems to be getting better all the time by just driving and running a little seafoam.

The car still has a mid RPM stumble and I initially thought it was just the nature of the tuned intake / butterfly set up that transitions from one tuned RPM to a second range up top. I did a tune up ( Coil/ wires and plugs) that that improved things. Not sure what a good stock car should drive like , but my will surge / lose power when at mid RPM and part throttle. Any ideas? My son has started driving the car and also noted that the RPM moves around a lot at idle ( making the power steering work or at time just sitting there it can move around more than you would think it should.) Are these related issues? Just trying to get this car running as well as I possible can with minimal $'s as winter is coming and I don't like working in my driveway when its at or below freezing in SE Mich. Anything else easy to check?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Idle issues often come from vacuume leaks. There are a few ways to check this slot of people say you can spray can't cleaner on the gasket areas and if the rpm changes while doing this you found your leak. I had more success with a smoke test. But when I did this my friend with a shop had the tool that he let me borrow.

·
Administrator
24,438 Posts
Part-throttle stumble is often due to EGR issues, but you’ll almost always have a check engine light to tell you so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts