New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by: FastCougar
If I'm not mistaken, it's made in the US, so I would guess US steel.

The Mazda6 is made in the same Flatrock plant the Cougar was made in, but that does not necessarily mean it's made from American steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Nippon Steel Corp and Sumitomo Metal Industries Ltd make the steel for mazdas.. looked it up heh :)

Both are japanese metal companies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by: slomoe
Nippon Steel Corp and Sumitomo Metal Industries Ltd make the steel for mazdas.. looked it up heh :)

Both are japanese metal companies

Do you have specific proof that the American made Mazda6 uses Jap steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,290 Posts
I know your wanting to support american industry, but seriously. Buying an american car is enough. Theres no way your going to find a pure american made car, well, it'll be difficult and even than it'll prolly be something you don't even want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by: Prez
Who cares?

I guess why do you need to know?
I CARE!!

The loss of american manufacturing jobs at the rate it's going is an extremely serious dilemma. I work at a large manufacturing plant and I see firsthand how low-cost country outsourcing and the loss of jobs affect people and whole communities. It's sickening. Let alone the fact that I'm from Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh is a mere shadow of what it was since 95% of all the steel jobs have long since left. Knowing that my car was built in the US by americans, especially considering that 70% of the parts in the car are american made, was enough for me to buy the car. My father-in-law though won't even LOOK at the car because it's a Jap car, he actually got really pissed at us because we bought a Mazda. If I could show that it was made with American steel, and in America it would change his opinion of it. That is the whole reason I'm asking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
TECHNICALLY you could call it an American car, since Ford does own Mazda :shrug:


BTW.. How long has Ford controlled Mazda? Did they buy them out or what? Not sure about the history of this relationship. If you don't want to post this off topic here, you can pm me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
I dont know for sure if those companies specifically make all the steel for mazda, but it seems so since they were the only two companies i saw mentioned. I know what your saying though, last week milwaukee lost 700 jobs from chrysler that went to mexico. Over the past 2 years i think it was something like 50% of the tool and die shops around here closed down. Same sh*t in chicago.. What happens when the economy picks up again? Whose going to make everything?

Also, i couldnt find where the body panels were actually stamped. Could be the steel is made in japan shipped here, then stamped. It would be cheaper to ship that way too i would assume.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,094 Posts
Mazda6 is made at AAI, the same plant that built the Cougar and the Mazda 626. They have stamping facilities there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,290 Posts
Your Mazda IS American. Since Ford does own Mazda and like they said it was assembled in America. Other than the steel however i believe America imports most of it since it's cheaper to do so, but i dunno. That's one of the main reasons i bought my coug. Mercury = Ford.
 

·
T3/T4 60-1
Joined
·
8,015 Posts
aren't unions great.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
BTW from what i read ford only owns 33% of mazda, which is the controlling amount. Just thought i would point that out though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
If I heard correctly American steel has a better quality than Jap steel.

Other than that the car's might be assembled in the US but 90% of the parts used were made/pre-assembled in Japan, mexico wherever. Just look on your sticker. It gives the percentage of parts made in what countries.

I understand why people want to buy american and I try to do so also but for someone to get upset and not talk to you or refuse to ride in the car is a bit overboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by: BrantlyJ

I understand why people want to buy american and I try to do so also but for someone to get upset and not talk to you or refuse to ride in the car is a bit overboard.
Trust me, you don't understand where they are coming from. My father-in-law's grandfather, died walking home from the US Steel mill, where he spent his entire career. His father spent his entire career stamping parts at Fisher Body. All parts were made from US Steel. Then he spent the earlier part of his career working for Fisher Body. Three generations of that family all made there living directly or indirectly from the US steel and automotive industries. His hometown (Braddock, PA), used to be a booming steel town, now it is just about a ghost town. Knowing this, it's not that hard to understand his resentment towards imports and foreign steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
i honestly think it is impossible to buy an "american" car. I dont think anyone has the majority of parts actually made here. Even american companies have there sh*t made in mexico and china (and any other cheap labor country). The most you can hope for is that they assemble it here..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Originally posted by: OrangeCat
Does anyone happen to know if the steel used in the Mazda6 is American or imported?

Probably about the same probability that a Ford, Chrysler, or Dodge is using American steel. The mazda6 is made at the same plant that used to make the cougar was made in, after all. Article here talks about how Ford will be using $10B worth of parts from China by 2010 and in general only 60% of the steel used by the American Auto Industry in 2004 will be US steel. I understand where you are coming from. My grandfather fought in WWII and will never buy a foreign car. But buying a 6 instead of a 3 (made in Japan) is probably going to support American workers just as well as buying a Crown Vic. It's getting harder and harder to tell what's made in the US and what isn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,959 Posts
Originally posted by: OrangeCat
Originally posted by: Prez
Who cares?

I guess why do you need to know?
I CARE!!

The loss of american manufacturing jobs at the rate it's going is an extremely serious dilemma. I work at a large manufacturing plant and I see firsthand how low-cost country outsourcing and the loss of jobs affect people and whole communities. It's sickening. Let alone the fact that I'm from Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh is a mere shadow of what it was since 95% of all the steel jobs have long since left. Knowing that my car was built in the US by americans, especially considering that 70% of the parts in the car are american made, was enough for me to buy the car. My father-in-law though won't even LOOK at the car because it's a Jap car, he actually got really pissed at us because we bought a Mazda. If I could show that it was made with American steel, and in America it would change his opinion of it. That is the whole reason I'm asking.

Plus he knows a current Steelworker who constantly complains about imports. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top