New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two 12 inch subwoofers in a custom box wiht two port holes on the side of the box....which way should i face the box so that i get optimal bass out of it...should i face them towards the front of the car, towards the back of the car, upwards towards the hatch or what??...any suggestions

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
backwards.... a low frequency sine wave is much longer than a high frequency wave.... you need to allow distance for the wave to develop before hitting your ears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pointing the sub to the rear will often result in better bass, but not for the reason given. If the length of the sine wave were the sole determinant of bass, you'd never hear any bass through a set of headphones. The fact is that you usually can't tell the best position for the sub without experimenting. The reason positioning of the sub makes a difference is phase cancellation. Depending on the position of the sub, the reflected wave of bass frequencies off of the back of the hatch area may completely or partially cancel the remaining part of the wave. That's why some people actually hear the bass louder when their hatch is open. This is because where they've positioned the sub, when the hatch is open the wave can't reflect back since it goes right out of the hatch, and therefore no opportunity for phase cancellation. Actually placing the sub all the way in the back or in the rear corner is often times a good place to start because the bass waves won't have an opportunity to reflect and cancel (since it's already all the way in the back). Practical considerations however (like you actually want to use the hatch), sometimes prevent this type of installation. For more on this, check this out: http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I purposely picked the cougar based on what you're talking about!!!!!!

I work in a place where we install subwoofers in cars every day (an electronics retailer), so please hear me out.... In hatchback cars you have 2 good options, subs facing up, or facing rear/down.

Assuming box is sealed....

Facing rear or down is good because low bass can reproduced in cars (regardless of wavelength, 1-5 ft. matters little) due to pressure...... The chassis of the car reflects the sound back at the origin, compounds the effect, and releases as energy. Unfortunately, much of the energy is absorbed by the car (plates and panels, as I discovered in my '93 Probe), but it is damn cool...however....

the best sounding (musically) systems I've ever heard in hatchback after 5 years of listening to them were the ones where the subs face up, and the only thing between the woofer and your ear is the rear glass......

In the hatch design of the Cougar, it forms almost a perfect angle!!.... It makes sense.... after all, the glass is the most reflective part of the interior. The sound reflects off the rear glass, travels to the windshield and back to the rear glass and then to the origin (the subs). The result is a minimal amount of energy absorption and an acceptable amout of pressure sustained. The car (and yourself) absorb the energy after the bass is done "bouncing" off all that glass.... The bass is CLEAN as [email protected]#!!! This time, I would choose to face the subs up.

Anyway, I plan on implementing this in a week or so. I think I've worked it out where I can still get the spare out of the trunk and still have enough room for two 12" facing directly at the glass, with the amps underneath the box w/fans. I will cut sections of the hatch lid and cover it with grille cloth, so the sound will pass more freely. I'll let you know (honestly) if it sounds better than the rear facing....

With ports in the box, I don't think it much matters, just let the ports breathe, either way will boom, but no tight, musical bass, sorry weezel81......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.