New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I misshifted into 3rd last night.. I think it went into 1st or something anyways... Fuel cutoff for me is at 6975 and when I did the misshift It revved insanely all the way to 7600 which is when I could react to put the clutch in. I think It would have kept going... Scary though... I heard that zetecs can only hold like 7250-7500 on stock valves? Im guessing I am very lucky...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think I've read that some stock block Foci have turned to 8000rpm naturally aspirated. I'd say that's the max and yep you lucked out. I know what it's like to lose an engine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Same happened to me but even worse.

Last Thursday night I was riding home from taking a killer final and was in 5th gear at about 75 mph. I saw this riced honda coming up fast and I accidentially mis-shifted into second and it hit 8000 rpm's. When it did my check engine light came on and the car starting bucking / hesitating like the fuel pump was going out. The engine then completely died. The computer must have shut the system down. When i pulled off to the side of the road i waited a min or two and it cranked just fine. I thought i had cracked a rod. I know that i'm very very lucky.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ouch!! I can just imagine the tensile inertial loads on the con rod/piston assembly. Must be something like 4000 lbs of load on the rod bearings at TDC on the exhaust stroke.................good thing they over-engineer these engines.........:biggrin:

G

·
Well, I was at METRO (for those of you that don't know it was the 2nd biggest streetracing event in the US, then they put in speed bumps, and now they're gone so its BACK!) last night and the cops came, and I jumped into my car and took off and accidently revved over 7000RPMs, nothing happened but DAMN!Thought I was gonna blow it up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.