New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - to those few of you who have Matrix coilovers installed - about how long is the install process? I know its shop dependant. My mechanic has never installed these before, so he's not too sure. He knows he can do it, we're just curious as to the time frame we're looking at. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
here's a little bit of info, it might not help any, but just want to share it , i ordered the matrix coilovers from James , then went to the local speed shop and told them what i bought, they immeadiatly said they werent worth it , a lot of people with different rides just came back to complain about matrix's , and he wasn't trying to sell me something more expensive , cuz the shop owner mostly sells import parts, not any cougar stuff, he said the best thing to go with is the GC. so the next day i called CC to switch my order to GC. most shops will not warranty matrix installations. just something to think about.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
depends on your tools used and how long it takes to prep(ie cutting struts) Shouldnt' take more than 4-5hours..

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by: FLIPRCR
here's a little bit of info, it might not help any, but just want to share it , i ordered the matrix coilovers from James , then went to the local speed shop and told them what i bought, they immeadiatly said they werent worth it , a lot of people with different rides just came back to complain about matrix's , and he wasn't trying to sell me something more expensive , cuz the shop owner mostly sells import parts, not any cougar stuff, he said the best thing to go with is the GC. so the next day i called CC to switch my order to GC. most shops will not warranty matrix installations. just something to think about.
$409us for GC's
$109us for Matrix

For the amount of time I plan on keeping my car, I'm definately gonna spend the $109!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Know this... Ground Control was designed for the Cougar with proper spring rates specific to the car. The Matrix coilovers are a generic application based on a Civic spring rates.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by: ignernt
Know this... Ground Control was designed for the Cougar with proper spring rates specific to the car. The Matrix coilovers are a generic application based on a Civic spring rates.
so what's this gonna do bad to my car?

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Becareful..we jus had this this spring rate convo in another thread and from the info spewed they appear to be the same. ;)

About 3 or 4 posts down I addressed the majority of said issues.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by: LostRacer
Becareful..we jus had this this spring rate convo in another thread and from the info spewed they appear to be the same. ;)

About 3 or 4 posts down I addressed the majority of said issues.
So...you're saying they're not so bad?

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
I've been saying that for the past year I've had them ;)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, so you ACCTUALLY have them and are speaking from experience? :bowdown:

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Make sure your upper strut mounts are still good too..Right now I have mine al pulled apart and waiting for the mounts to come in. As well as make sure you get those bearings.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bearings are something that doesnt' come with the kit that i need to add? or? How do you find the ride with them? Rough? Smooth?

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
They come with rubber washers :thumbsdn: I bought the bearings that everyone purchases for the GC's. The ride when lowered on stock struts was a bit bouncy but tolerable IMO. Better struts would fix it considerably. I'm also in the process of replacing my struts with KYB's right now. Like I mentioned in the other thread..and tim and time again..for the price you pay for them, they're fine. I've had NO PROBLEMS with them. Are you replacing your struts too?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where can I get the bearings that you're talking about?

That's what I figure too...for the price, can't go wrong...and now, after hearing what you hafta say, I have no reservations at all about buying these!

I'm gonna keep my stock struts for now, not sure how long I'm gonna be keeping the car for.

Anything else you can tell me 'bout them? :biggrin:

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
From the suspension FAQ at the top of the page:
Why are my Ground Control Upper Bearings Failing? And What are the Replacement Bearings for the Ground Control Kit?
Well some of you have experienced it, I recommend just don't even risk it. I have yet to hear of anyone run the Ground Control kit for an extended period of time without breaking the upper bearings. Yes there is a replacement, yes it is a far better product, and best part is you can get the replacements online for less than 10$ shipped to most locations in North America. You need to go to http://www.mcmaster-carr.com. From there you will need 2 Bearings and 4 Washers. The part number for the bearings is: 5909K35 and the part number for the washers is: 5909K48
If you like to ride low, you will scrape often ;) However your struts will wear very fast. if you keep it raised a bit not full height but like midway you'll be fine. :thumbsup: All I can say is enjoy them. You will see a lot of hear say about them but let it go because YOU are the one experienceing them and will make them work for you. Like I said earlier your struts will play a part in the comfort ride.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude, thanks alot! Its great hearing from someone who acctually has the product, rather than someone who doesn't have it and really has no clue!!

C

·
0 Posts
Well, I figure that since I got my matrix coilovers installed yesterday, it may be worth it to throw in my two cents...

My local shop told me it would take 3 hours to do the install, but ran into some problems and it ended up taking 8 1/2....so depending on your shop's experience with the Cougar suspension, I'd be ready for it to take all day. I was a little skeptical because of the low price too, but I am in love with these springs already. I really can't compare them to the GC's, cause I've never used those, but I see nothing wrong with the Matrixes so far....

Once again, just my two cents...

7/28/04: I adjusted the springs to make my car lower, and now it makes a clunking noise when I turn.....Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts