New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have read many of the other swap posts but have a question that I don't see covered. My son wants a custom 2001 Cougar that is a MTX and wants the ATX. I have a complete donor 1999 Contour SE. Can I swap them over? I read something on another site that I might need a matching ATX and PCM/PATS from an actual 2001 for this to work. I have other Contiques so I realize what a PITA they are to work on but its what he wants and I am semi retired so what the hell...

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,978 Posts
Yeah the 2001-2002 Cougar had more than a few incompatibilities between them and the earlier years. The PATS situation wouldn't be a problem, but the 99 PCM will be looking for 2 catalyst monitors; the 2001 only has one. For starters.

Also most 99 ConTiques used a return fuel system, but all 2000+ models are returnless, and the two are very much not interchangeable.

I would suggest finding a 2001-2002 PCM for this - or even better - make friends with that third pedal. The manual transaxles are about 98% more reliable than the automatics. Do you really want to install a 20+-year-old ticking time-bomb on the back of your engine?

Reactions: ApexSun

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
That's a question I never thought I would see here...

Its hard to imagine a situation where this would be a good idea...unless a person is disabled and cant drive a manual.

B3nn3tt probably has the closest thing to recent experience doing something even remotely similar.
You will need an ATX PCM.
If you use the PCM and wiring harnesses from the donor car, you will probably need a 99 cluster and who knows how many other miscellaneous electrical modules, adapters, and doo-dads.
If you procure an 01 PCM, you will also need the wiring harness and who knows what else, and also need to switch some of the sensors and devices from the 01 to the 99 engine.

Reactions: ApexSun

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suggest finding a 2001-2002 PCM for this - or even better - make friends with that third pedal. The manual transaxles are about 98% more reliable than the automatics. Do you really want to install a 20+-year-old ticking time-bomb on the back of your engine?
I am trying to talk him into learning to drive stick since that would be the cheapest solution and I am also told the MTX is much more reliable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a question I never thought I would see here...

Its hard to imagine a situation where this would be a good idea...unless a person is disabled and cant drive a manual.

B3nn3tt probably has the closest thing to recent experience doing something even remotely similar.
You will need an ATX PCM.
If you use the PCM and wiring harnesses from the donor car, you will probably need a 99 cluster and who knows how many other miscellaneous electrical modules, adapters, and doo-dads.
If you procure an 01 PCM, you will also need the wiring harness and who knows what else, and also need to switch some of the sensors and devices from the 01 to the 99 engine.
He is actually mildly autistic and too much stimulus can be an issue for him. I am a big fan of just finding a donor car before I hit LKQ but it seems everything around is a total POS or they want 3500 for it lol. So you cant flash the MTX PCM huh, no worries them I will add that to the list. Can I get a PATS matched key at the dealership if the salvage car doesnt have one or do I absolutely need to look for a donor with a matching key?

·
Registered
344 Posts
He is actually mildly autistic and too much stimulus can be an issue for him. I am a big fan of just finding a donor car before I hit LKQ but it seems everything around is a total POS or they want 3500 for it lol. So you cant flash the MTX PCM huh, no worries them I will add that to the list. Can I get a PATS matched key at the dealership if the salvage car doesnt have one or do I absolutely need to look for a donor with a matching key?
I have a 2001 automatic parts car. The transmission is shot but have most of the parts. If you need anything let me know. Almost all the parts have been removed already. I’m located in PA. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts