New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my number one goal is speed, I own the right car...right?

I love my Cougar, but I really expected more out of it. I really figured that it would be an easy engine to mod, and I could make it a lot faster. But the more and more I know, the Cougar really is a slow car, isn't it? I mean, I would have to drop more than 7k into it for a super charger and other mods, and it still would only be a 14 second car. That seems a little off to me, I would rather go pick myself up a '96 TT Supra.

I don't know what opinions I am looking for, maybe to be talked out of trading in my Cougar. But I just want a LOT more speed, and it's looking more and more like the Cougar is not the car that fits my wants.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd love to be able to talk you out of trading your Cougar but.......if you're looking for speed it probably isn't the right car.....If you want 'fast' there are alot of better choices (of course some are so ugly you'll have to sneak up on it to get in....some are as common as belly buttons....some are as highly strung as a 2lb. "rat" dog on expresso....and some require a second morgage to afford)

I still have to talk myself out of a "belly button" car (Mustang) on a fairly regular basis...heck I could be in the 12's with a grand worth of mods....

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the Supra is my dream car, and now they are in my price range.

I really love my Cougar as an overall car, looks and performance. But I want to be much faster. I was hoping that the Cougar would be an easy car to mod, but it's not looking that way.

G

·
I feel your pain, Fett. I also enjoy all out apeed, yet the readon I bought my pussy in the first place is the overall value. I wanted a new car, because I was sick of extensive maintenace. Now if I went and got the Skyline I always wanted, I would be about broke, now wouldn't I?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If speed is your only priority, the Cougar is not the right car for you. That doesn't mean it's a slow car. A mid-90s 300ZX, Supra, 3000GT, or Cobra is more suitable. But you would HAVE to buy used.

The MTX can outrun about 90% of what's on the road in stock form ("quick&quot
, and with $1000 worth of bolt-on's can run high 14's ("fast&quot

The ATX, on the otherhand, is a mildly above-average car stock ("peppy&quot
, and can be probably be made to run 16 flat with I/H/E (quick).

Keep in mind the other cars in our price range -- Mustang V6, Camaro V6, GrandAM GT, Alero, Civic Si, Celica GT, Eclipse RS, Golf GTI, Accord LX, Corrola LE, Sunfire GT. Our car is faster than every one of these except for the Golf and possibly the Civic Si. Personally, I wouldn't want to be seen in a Golf or a Civic, but that's just me.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you are looking for speed I would definitely get rid of the Cougar. Besides my Cougar I also I have '99 Z28 6-speed. Fairly loaded out it was only about $25k. If you want cheap speed, get a bare bones Z28 or Firebird Formula for just over $21k, or buy a used one,'98 or newer, and with one to two thousand in mods you'd be close to breaking 12's. There's no point in modding your Cougar if all you care about is speed. For a daily driver, speed is not all I care about and I love my Cougar for what it is, although it still needs some more power.

·
Registered
368 Posts
One word-

Vortech

If you can drop about four grand, that would be an excellent way to make our cars fast. When I get enough money (a real job), my plans to make extreme speed are-

Limited slip diff
lighter flywheel (new clutch too)
supercharger

I bet with all that we could run low 14s or high 13s.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about the Vortex, but it didn't really do much for the one in SCC. They put a Vortex SC on a Cougar and only dropped a second off the 1/4...not worth the cost.

·
Registered
728 Posts
the one in the mag had 212 hp or something to the wheels...but someone on this board posted that they got 243hp to the wheels out of the vortex after tuning it...so maybe you should look into it more

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Umm yeah..... and by the way, it is Vortech, not Vortex.....

He got 243 to the wheels with his setup, and he doesnt have headers IIRC.....a set of MSDS headers on there will increase that by another 10-15 HorsePower, the tech also said to get the intake manifold extrude honed, a larger throttle body, and maybe a larger MAF.....doing all of that will get you between 275-300HP at the wheels.....this will get you in mid 13's (if not faster) in the 1/4 mile which is DAMN fast if you ask me....and even if you arent gonna be as fast as an F-Body or a Supra, you should be content that your car could pretty much hang with them at high speeds on the freeway. I would think that if the cougar has a stock top speed of 130-140MPH, with all those mods you would be pushing 160MPH (you better get a brake upgrade).....True it isnt safe to go that fast on public highways, but your Cougar, after doing those mods, will by no means be slow.....

Nikolas

G

·
like i was talking to you before fett, cougar is sweet looking and pretty good for the price.....but as you and i were discussing, we want speed, and lots of it. i am in the works for a 89 stang 5.0, i figure with between 1 and 2 grand, i could have one fast car, bolt-ons for that car are easy too, my little cousin could prolly do it, i dunno, i love the cougars handling and styling, but maybe soon it will be my sisters car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.