New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 atx and i want to add some more power to it. im not looking for a race car just some more power so that i can actually atrt winning a few races with slow ass car. im not looking to spend too much money but im willing to put between 2-$3000 under the hood. any ideas on what i can do?

N

·
0 Posts
this has been discussed many times over. I definatly reccommend searchin this one.

TO answer your question however, basic bolt ons and nitrous feeding is the way to go. It has worked for me. However, with increased performance comes increased wear and tear. Be smart when you mod and you wont have a problem.

R

·
0 Posts
id say basic 3L swap and while everything is out, have the torque convertor modded for a higher stall and have a shiftkit installed

R

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: wren
Originally posted by: Russell
id say basic 3L swap and while everything is out, have the torque convertor modded for a higher stall and have a shiftkit installed
and a tranny cooler

of course, thats a given :)

everyone with an ATX should have one, even if you got an ATX zetec that grandma only drives to church on sundays!

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
everyone with an ATX should have one, even if you got an ATX zetec that grandma only drives to church on sundays!
Not me, risks my tranny warranty. Which is gay, but w/e.

What do you guys recommend on how high to set the higher stall for our tq convertor?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Wait a minute, I have looked sooo hard in the past and couldn't find a shift kit for our trannys

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this is old, but I thought I would update it anyway... :crazy:

First of all, there isn't a "performance" shift kit on the market for the CD4E. Also bear in mind that the CD4E is limited to 200 ft lbs of tq. anything beyond this will shorten the life of the tranny. There really hasn't been anyone, other than russel, that has pushed this envelope that I know of.

As we all know, when you upgrade engine performance you should upgrade tranny performance! Well. you Cougar guys are about has high up as they get, next to the Escape and well... there really isn't a whole lot of difference there either.

The only place that I have found that you can pick up performance, when using a CD4E, is using Redline MTL fluid. Yeah, I know! You have heard about that being used in the MTX-75. But the reason being, is that it has a higher rate of friction modifier in it. What that means is more grip on the clutch packs in the tranny. The drawback, a whole lot more wear!! And I mean I WHOLE LOT!!! Percentages? I have no idea! but use just a little common sense and you will get the picture.

The shift kit that Russell spoke of is a shift kit made by TransGo. It is more of a reliability style of performance kit than a Street/Strip performance kit. Plus, it was designed for most older model CD4E's. The only real problems the more recent versions of the CD4E has is the TC shutter and that is found mostly in the Escape and Tribute. That does not mean that your TC bypass valve will not wear out, as most do and cause most of the problems that we see, but...the harder you run it the more you open yourself up to failure.

This last statement holds true for anything, be it a CD4E or a MTX-75. Only the MTX-75 is able to handle more abuse than a CD4E.

Just sharing the facts.

R

·
0 Posts
i would think the newer CD4Es can hold more torque than 200 lb ft

reason being, the 3L in the escape!

also, there was a supercharged escape with teh CD4E and it held up fine to the supercharger!

mines a 2001 cd4e from a cougar

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: Tygerr
Not me, risks my tranny warranty. Which is gay, but w/e.

What do you guys recommend on how high to set the higher stall for our tq convertor?
how is the cooler voided your tranny warranty....time for a different stealership mango

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
AMSoil makes a very good pure synthetic automatic transmission fluid called ATF for our cars. But for those into racing ATXs there is a Racing ATF which eliminates the ATX "slip" but is not recommended for the street because of the rough shifts.. In other words.. use at your own risk on your daily driver.

"AMSOIL Synthetic Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid is specifically formulated for automatic transmissions operating in high horsepower and high torque conditions. AMSOIL Supershift Transmission Fluid contains top-quality additives selected specifically for racing applications. Its unmatched transmission friction performance provides high holding capacity for maximum torque transfer and brake power, reduced wear and longer clutch plate life. Supershift virtually eliminates slippage, promotes positive clutch engagement and improves overall shift performance, helping racers improve on elapsed times".

Contact me if you have an interest..

·
Registered
123 Posts
where can i buy that tranny cooler at??? and how much do they usually run??? My car is a daily driver and it would be ok to get one??? I rarely race.

N

·
0 Posts
I bought mine from TransDepot in Florida, on their ebay store. Getting a tranny cooler is a good idea for any car. There are no down sides to adding one to your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts