New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, what difference does the size of the magnet make. if I have a sub that runs 500 watts RMS with a 60 oz magnet, and one that runs 550 watts RMS with a 80 oz magnet? does the magnet size just allow for more watts?

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man

·
Registered
24 Posts
basically the bigger the magnet the more it can handle... i used to have a pair of Pyramid Gold series 12's and these thing were 1200 watts peak for each of them... the magnets were 120oz each... they completely killed me when they were in.. sold em for 200$ profit though... i kinda miss em lol
-jay

G

·
ok, what difference does the size of the magnet make. if I have a sub that runs 500 watts RMS with a 60 oz magnet, and one that runs 550 watts RMS with a 80 oz magnet? does the magnet size just allow for more watts?
The magnet, by itself, doesn't make ANY difference.

It's like having a 750HP supercharged Chevy 427 in a car; you can't tell how fast the car's going to go just on the horsepower of the motor. You have to take into account the transmission and other parts.

With a speaker, the magnet works together with the voice coil, the spider and the surround. You could have a 50 pound magnet on a subwoofer, but that won't make it any more powerful or any louder than one with a 40 ounce (2.5 pounds) magnet if the rest of the subwoofer isn't equally overengineered.

The size of the magnet doesn't make your car any louder than the NOS sticker makes your car faster, in other words.....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That would be it^^^^^^ . Bigger magnets dont do anything on their own. Its depending on the overall quality. Like a 3" dual voice coil and double layer spiders. A typical inexpensive sub with a huge magnet is nothing but a magnet...the coil is small and it has no real structure. Compare the structure of the JL...any series...to similar size subs. The other lesser built subs have no "guts".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts