New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok from what i have heard magnaflow exaust systems are quieter than flowmaster or borla so correct me if i wrong but i was just curious if anybody knows where i can get just a magnaflow muffler for a 00 cougar? and aslo i heard that magnaflow are a little better performance wise than flows?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Flowmaster is definately louder than the other mufflers, and if I remember correctly, magnaflow and borla are about the same. I have a borla catback system and it's not that loud, but just right. Performance wise, you're better off going with magnaflow or borla, about the same again. You can buy just the muffler, it doesn't have to be specifically made for the cougar, but they do make a magnaflow cat-back system specifically to bolt-up to the cougar.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Originally posted by: KickerCouga21
ok from what i have heard magnaflow exaust systems are quieter than flowmaster or borla so correct me if i wrong but i was just curious if anybody knows where i can get just a magnaflow muffler for a 00 cougar? and aslo i heard that magnaflow are a little better performance wise than flows?
I did some checking with the Trubendz folks and, according to them, they feel the Flowmaster is definitely the loudest, followed by the Borla, and then the Magnaflow (quietest). Again, this is with the Trubendz piping and manufacturer muffler. A "true" Borla system might be a bit quieter from what I've read around here. Of course, the Borla costs like 2 to 3 times as much as a Trubendz.

The Magnaflow folks appear to have a philosophy of wanting their product to be installed by professional shops, i.e., the people they distribute to. However, I've seen just the Magnaflow mufflers available from Jegs. I'm sure you could find other sources by doing an internet search.

You won't find reference to a direct replacement of the stock front or rear Cougar mufflers; but, you can do the measuring and figure out what will fit your application.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for the easiest install dont i want a center inlet offset outlet or was it offset/center i cant remember which would be easier?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
i can vouch for Magnaflow... while it is quieter than the flowmaster, its not exactly "quiet" at all. i notice it ever single moment im driving, but its alot "nicer" of a sound... its smooth and rumbly at low rpms and scares little children at full throttle :evil:

i'm happy with mine :)
its the 14216 Mirror Finish muffler

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
CTA motorsports :) - dual exhaust system 3.

they are in Canada though... but they do ship to the states.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found a locale muffler shop to do a custom job. I asked the mechanic that works on our fleet vehicles for a good ( read cheap) muffler shop and he sent me to the one he uses. When I went for a quote the muffler guy said to check CTA website for what I want. I got 2 1/2 SS Magnaflow with resonator and it's loud enough for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts