New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to clean the maf I see its held on by 2 weird looking screws.
So what type of tool do I need to undo these screws?

thanks

reason:
My friend took his Cougar into a shop cus he had some cell codes related to the maf sensor
So the mechanic took apart the maf and discovered the ends which gets the reading was full of carbon build up.
I would like to do this also since I have 80k miles

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
You don't need to remove that piece. Just undo th ehose clamp on one end and the 4 bolts going into the air box (or MAF adapter) and take it out. You need to clean the filament inside the tube with an electrical parts cleaner.

·
Registered
486 Posts
the screws that you see are tamper resistant torx screws. if you go to Autozone you can pick up the bits that will remove them. Thats the only way of removing them without messing up anything. the set of bits cost somewhere around $15. I have a set just for that and they work good.

G

·
I wouldn't recomend the carb cleaner, or even gum cutter. i would just use electical contact cleaner. i am afraid that the others might afect the sensor. I dont know if you have a aftermarker intake or the stock box, either way just spray the cleaner into the ballance tube opening at the bottom of the meter inlet, while the engine is idle. should get sucked right through the sensor ad then burned off by the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.