New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost as sweet as gutted precats. Not a huge difference in power but you should definately be able to feel a difference...
Follow the howto but it isn't necessary to touch the tube or anything else. Just cut the bar off and the plate that blocks air from the sampling tube. DREMEL TIME!!

MAF how-to

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
this seems to good to be true...how come i've never seen this before on here?

Mike

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
stop arguing kids. DOES THIS MAF MOD WORK!? The issue here is horsepower gains. That's what's important, not this guy. What exactly is in that bar? If there's nothing in it then why can't you just cut it out? It is blocking some air...

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enough. I removed the posts that were WAY off topic. Behave children or I will strike all of you. Stay on topic. This is your first last and only warning.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
A friend of mine once attempted this mod on his Chevy Corsica, so he removed his MAFS and took out his dremel. He wanted to secure the MAFS, so as not to make any bad cuts. WHen he started tightning the vice, he caught his pinky finger in the vice...while trying to secure his MAFS so he could attempt this mod.

Well, the vice was rusty and would not loosen from its grip on his finger. With no other option, he used his free hand and reached for the dremel, which was just out of his reach. In pain and desperate, he grabbed a screwdriver next to him on his bench, and tried to use it to move the dremel closer to him. As he strugled with the screwdriver, he accidently turned on the dremel...which started rolling towards him. He tried in vain to drop the screwdriver, but he forgot that the screwdriver in question was one that he was trying to fix. You see, the plastic handle on this screwdriver was falling apart, so he used quick drying epoxy to fix the handle...and when he grabbed the screwdriver, his hand was stuck to the handle.

He tried as hard as he could to knock the dremel away from him, as it slowly crawled towards him. He took swing after swing, finally knocking the dremel to the floor at the last second. Unfortunatly with his last, sucessful swing, his follow through caught him in the eye...which caused him even more pain, and blinded him in one eye.

The dremel kept its forward motion on the floor, coming closer and closer to his foot. With no depth perception, he could only kick the dremel away. With his bad depth perception, due to his eye injury, he stepped directly on the dremel...causing the dremel but to dig deep into the bottom of his foot. Through the sole, through the inner lining, and through the bottom of his foot.

At that very moment his girlfriend walked into his garage...seeing the horror before her, she fainted. As she fell to the floor, she hit the vice, freeing his hand, knocked the dremel plug out of the wall, and knocked a bottle of laquer thinner onto his hand, thus freeing him from the screwdriver.

In the end, my friend was ok, freed from his strange situation, by an even stranger situation. His girlfriend is ok as well, but due to her hitting her head on the ground when she fainted...she now talks with a lisp...and she studders.....oh yea, and she is stupid now.

Moral: Do not attept this mod...you never know what it can lead to.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Instead of monkeying around with the MAF, buy one that has been designed and tested for our vehicle. I think the stock one is restrictive, but I think the errors that will occur from doing this mod wrong will prove that this is not a sure-fire modification for all...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the story. That is really strange. I still personally think it is worthwhile as long as you are careful not to let the dremel have the upper hand.... I think buying a new MAF is great, but not everybody has the money to do that and I think this mod is a good start in opening up airflow. Again, be careful not to touch the sampling tube and you will be ok. IF you're not good at all with a dremel or hacksaw do not attempt.

Fett: How can it NOT be blocking air?? IT is in direct path of the air flow?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Or to get the most out of your MAF and avoid cels, try this:

Pro-Flow Universal 75mm Black Plastic MAF

Modern Mass Air Flow (MAF) controlled EFI engines respond well to modifications that significantly improve the flow of intake air or exhaust gas. Along with the air filter and intake pipe, replacing the MAF Sensor housing is an effective upgrade. Pro-Flow has developed one of the best high flow units on the market, and we're excited to offer it in our MAF upgrade section.

This MAF is a universal fit with a throat diameter of 75mm. It is programmed specifically for the size injector you are running, so we must contact you after ordering for specifications. You should also install a high flow intake pipe and cone filter to see the full benefit of this item.

When ordering a ProFlow MAF, you will need to be prepared to state what size injectors you need the MAF calibrated for and what type of filter you will be using with the MAF (Stock Paper, High Flow Cone, etc.) We will contact you by phone or email using the information you provide at CheckOut. Your order will not be placed with ProFlow until we contact you. Each unit is programmed and assembeled to spec which adds 3-5 days to normal delivery time of USPS from our facility to your garage.

Notice how this is programmed and calibrated for your setup... This is $205.00 and ensures piece of mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[DEVIL'S ADVOCATE] <---------In case anyone misses it.

Removing the center bracket from the stock MAF shouldn't increase the air flow that much....it'll just keep the air from 'churning' inside the maf, but that center brace may have some structural integrity to the maf, so by removing it you may be compromising its strength.

[/devil's advocate]

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Originally posted by: carchck7
[DEVIL'S ADVOCATE] <---------In case anyone misses it.

Removing the center bracket from the stock MAF shouldn't increase the air flow that much....it'll just keep the air from 'churning' inside the maf, but that center brace may have some structural integrity to the maf, so by removing it you may be compromising its strength.

[/devil's advocate]
Yeah, you never know when an elephant will decide to park its lard azz on your maf.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Removing the center bracket from the stock MAF shouldn't increase the air flow that much
then putting something like the tornado fuel saver in your intake pipe shouldn't decrease airflow that much...sorry I just had to bring that up. :shrug:

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
actually if you think about it...cutting anything out of the center of the maf won't affect the amount of air in the maf, because all of the air comes from the intake and changing the inner workings of your stock maf isn't going to make your intake magically grow bigger allowing more air in, yes the maf will hold more air, but how is that air going to get there if the same amount of air is going to be coming from the intake? also integrity doesn't only affect strength....it affects stress and pressure also, and the engine bay gets hot affecting the plastic (that would be stress) and depending on the degree that the throttle body is open will affect the pressure against the throttle plate and inside the maf, so in theory you could damage the integrity of the maf by removing the center support. I highly doubt that any detrimental effects would occur if you did this mod, but its always good to think about any and all possibilities no matter how ludicrous.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
adding a bigger maf doesn't help unless the intake matches it or is bigger than it. My intake is 80mm, my MAF is 75mm, but my tb is only 65..........the most amount of air that will ever get inside my tb is the volume of it (don't feel like doing any math right now, or else I'd have found out the volume that the tb holds). The only reason bigger is better is because the air that is sucked thru into the intake is readily replaced by the air in the maf and intake because they hold more than what the tb will actually hold. If you don't increase the amount of air your intake will hold then you can't increase the amount in the maf, the only exception to this is the tornado thing that was mentioned earlier because it basically creates a vacuum that pulls the air thru the intake and then shoots it into the tb, therefore you get more air per second thru the tb and enabling the engine to get more air thru the same setup that its always had, but because of the vacuum created, its acting as if the intake components have been made larger. by cutting this center support out your are enabling the maf to hold more air, but how is that air going to get in there unless you a)put it there (e.g. thru a larger intake) or b) have that tornado thing. If you have the KKM, K&N, or Weapon-R filter (read: any filter designed to go on the stock maf) then this mod will likely increase your air volume a smidgen (yes, that's a technical term ;) ), but if you still have the stock intake then its probably not going to do a damn thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.