New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just finished a SVT LIM install with a calibrated Pro Flow MAF sensor. I had to get a couple of vacuum tubes from the EGR parts fixed (they got all brittle and snapped. Nice) and the mech there warned me that aftermarket MAFs can cause CEL warnings. Sure enough, mine has been glowing since. My question is - Is there another way to get the computer to recognize the new setup without having to go back to the stock MAF?

Do performance garages offer custom ECU work? Or would an aftermarket chip do the job? If so - has anyone had any feedback from the ones they tried? I'd hate to lose money on this dumb thing.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Pro flows lowest Injector calibration was 19lb...which is why many people got CEL's...

If you get one of those MAF signal bypassing tuners, like the MAF optimizers, you can adjsut (basically re tune the MAF) the maf.

No need to get the larger MAFS for most people. More hassle than it is worth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by: pgtatx
Pro flows lowest Injector calibration was 19lb...which is why many people got CEL's...

If you get one of those MAF signal bypassing tuners, like the MAF optimizers, you can adjsut (basically re tune the MAF) the maf.

No need to get the larger MAFS for most people. More hassle than it is worth.
It certainly seems to be more hassle than it is worth - unfortunately I bought it right before I really got into the forum. How clever of me. The MAF Optimizers are those 250+ dollar little gadgets, right? Lovely - so the tuner for it costs more than the actual unit. Loving that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SON OF A... well, I took off the ProFlow MAF - cause I am going to a dyno place today and I figured I'd get all screwy reading if my CEL was light up for f'ing Xmas. And guess what? It came back on after the 10 mile ECU break-in. So now I am stuck trying to determine if the 19lb injectors are causing trouble or I screwed something up on the install... but I had the thing at the dealer and they checked out the CEL (which was a vacuum tube that got disconnected) - he warned me the ProFlow could set if off. SON OF A....

:disgust:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have had a 75mm Bullet installed on my 1999 Cougar for almost a year.. NO CELs.. The MAF is calibrated for the 19lb injectors I have installed in the engine.

Nikolas

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, bloody hell - I have a problem that no one else does? I seem pretty good at that. Hopefully the dyno place will shed some light (or solutions) on this. It was a good bit of money and time getting that stuff installed.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Did you reset the ecu??

Install everything, and pull the negative for a while...let it sit...

Afterwards drive around pretty hard for a while. Then come home and let it all sit. It should be OK...unless the MAF was miscalibrated.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wait... I have the same setup only i added the pro flow much later. My cell was tripping before i got the pro flow. I can reset the ecu be good for about 80 miles or so then it trips again. I brought it to my dealer ship they said it was a dirty DPEF sensor " I think thats what it was" connected to the egr valve. Sensor is 75 bucks and since my cell tripped i've noticed a big loss in mpg's. Just thought i'd share...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts