New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy tries to put a finger on what's going on in peoples heads when they try to process calling this new electric crossover a Mustang.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/sorry-boomer-your-ford-mustang-is-now-an-electric-shopping-cart/ar-BBWWonz?li=BBnb4R5

As I read the article, it occurred to me that this would have been a perfect opportunity to resurrect the Cougar badge. The Cougar from day one was a Mustang variant, and over the course of its history it served as a badge for Ford to try different things with while retaining a tie to its heritage. People still would have complained, but the Mustang name would have remained untarnished, and the Cougar has an eclectic history anyway.
With the new Puma in Europe making the jump to sub-compact SUV, badging this one a Cougar would have made a lot of sense.

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts
I don't think it had to be associated with the Mustang at all. Every other maker, even the performance ones, who have dipped their toe into the EV/SUV ring has given their vehicle a unique name. Porsche, Lamborghini, Jaguar, etc.

Ones who haven't? Ford with this, and Mitsubishi with the Eclipse. Chevy was clever with the Bolt/Volt so I can't imagine there's a shortage of cool electric-themed names unless they're all trademarked and we just don't know it. But Ford owns the Model E name still so it would've been a no brainer and anyone who's interested in an EV car outside of a Prius knows they can make good power because of Tesla.

I think it looks great overall except for the forced Mustang styling on the rear. Something about look too small.

·
5,237 Posts
I'm trying not to be a "Dammit, Cougar's aren't front drive hatch backs!" fogey, but I don't understand why they'd use the Mustang name? That's one of the few nameplates that's been pretty much constant for fifty plus years, outside of the gas shortage Seventies Mustang II (which was still two doors and styled like a Mustang). Are they trying to get the Mustang name's halo on the new vehicle?

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Cougar would have been appropriate if Mercury weren't dead. After all, there was a Cougar had a station wagon variant at one point and cross overs are basically the modern day station wagon. Although, by that argument, it could have just as easily been the Country Squire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah would have been much better than a mustang and i wouldnt mind to much. But they put that 2 door v8 sports car badge on a 4 door suv piece of.

·
8,493 Posts
They should take the Mustang, put an electric drivetrain in it, make some cosmetic changes to make it more cat-like, and sell it as a Cougar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts