New Cougar Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Glad to see you making steady progress on this car. One system at a time and it will be on the road before you know it. You've got all the sexiest body kit parts too so once this car is fully restored it should be really special.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Yeah thanks. I finally decided to do a little here and there and not try and do everything at once.
As for the body parts they need some serious work which I dont really want to do until after Im able to drive it down the road, or at least around the block. I'd settle for the end of the driveway at this point.

The brakes are 100% now including the parking brake. Calipers all seem to be functioning and they're not to bad asthetically. They could use some paint though.

Cooling system should be good when I put in the radiator and can get a new overflow bottle.

The clutch needs work. I think the throw out bearing took a crap on me. Which sucks!!!

I'm still waiting on some fuel fittings. Thats really just a matter of making lines now. And putting in the fuel pressure reguator.

Wheels and tires are squared away for now.

Wiring is pretty much done inside the car. I have the roof portion to the rear wiper and 3rd brake light left to put in. As well as the tag light. And figuring out something on the front blinkers. The engine harness is something else though.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I think Im going to work on the clutch issue tomorrow. I think the slave cylinder froze on it. When I try to push the pedal its like the pedal doesn't want to move.
The clutch master was working fine before bolting it to the pedal assembly. Plan is to unhook the line from the trans and see if i can push the pedal.
It's either the slave locked up or the master binding up on the pedal assembly. Guess we'll see after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
So the pedal assembly was bent where the clutch master bolts on which was binding up the rod for it. That's fixed however the slave cyl. Is frozen up too. Looks like I get to pull an engine. Yay!!!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
So, after some long hard soul searching today and last night..... I think it's time to say goodbye to Luci.
She's been a great car to tinker on, but she spent way to much time parked.
Most of the driver side rocker is gone. Which makes great weight savings, however its deep enough in the side that bolts and studs on the floor pan are twisting off. The rear frame rails are shot. And the floor pan resembles swiss cheese in some places.
Could I cut it out and fix it? Sure.
But whats the point when I have 2 more shells sitting in the back yard that would be way better structurally?
The thing that really got me thinking about it is my kids are getting older and going to start driving the cars in just 4 years from now. If they happen to take the cougar Id rather they be safe in an accident rather then I possibly missed a weak spot.
Before anyone asks, I'm not parting it. I'm not selling the parts. Nothing on the car is going away except the shell. It's all getting transferred over to what I feel is the safer choice.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Welp. A scrapped project is a finished project!
If you were going to pull the powerplant out anyway to get to the clutch than its good timing on the decision.
I'm sure momma will be happy to get one hulk out of the yard too.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Yeah shes not too upset about it. My son was more upset then either of us because he got to put the wheels on last time. First thing he asked was what about the wheels? Can we keep those?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Kids can get more attached to our things than we realize sometimes. Make him a cool video game chair out of it.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Nah after I finally got it explained in ways he understands, as long as he gets to put those wheels on the next one he's good. Especially after he found out its going to give him more room to play in the yard lol.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
So a little update.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Little more update.

Reactions: LinkMan

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Definitely looks better.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Primer for the engine bay showed up today. This should be a fun venture when I can finally get the color and clear in.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I finally decided the engine and trans setup Im using.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
And after a couple hours.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
On that note I'm calling it a day. Not a big difference from before other then getting all the mounts in place and checking clearances on coolant lines and such. It seems I may be able to put the OMP bar in with this setup as well.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
So on a side note the black car actually runs now. Its not even close to taking off jackstands but it started and ran as long as I gave it gas. Let off the pedal and it drops to low on rpm and dies.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
So I figured out why it wouldn't idle. I seem to have forgotten to hook up the big hose for the PCV valve and I had another leak. It idles but I dont dare leave it run long with the messed up O2 sensor and no coolant in it. I did get the condensor in today so I can assemble the radiator to put in but considering Im pulling the timing cover soon there's really no sense in it. Plus the AC stuff would be way easier without the radiator stuff in the way.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Started working on the cooling system.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts