New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started rebuilding Luci recently. The poor girls been parked in a field behind the house for a few years so she's pretty sickly. She was a 3.0 but the engine got pulled and put in my silver car when I got it. Basically I have a stripped down shell which has some rust and other goodies going on for it.

For those who don't remember this was her at one time.

And this is what she got subjected to for quite a few years.

She's in need of some rust repair. I don't want to just buy another car and swap the pieces over because I have 3 of these things sitting around and the wife would kill me.
Right now I'm just focusing on swapping some things out and making her run and then rust repair will come later on when the weathers nicer.

Pulling her out of all the weeds she was pretty sad. Lights were missing and the bumpers were off.

The hatch had seen better days as well.

So I started with that stuff. And in a short time she started looking better.

I also ran across that giant monstrosity of a rear spoiler that I always wanted a while back. Yeah its the wrong color but this thing needs painted anyway.

I also have plans for making it go.
Few years ago I picked up a 0 miles 3.0 that someone bought and never installed.
Its been sitting in the shed waiting.

No more waiting.

Decided to swap the valve covers out for the SVT ones.

That way I can make room for this.

Decided I'm going to be sitting on these.

I'm planning to do a brake change soon but until the car actually starts I'm not worried about it. This way new discs and stuff dont start rusting before I ever get to drive it. However I got the struts swapped out.

They need rebuilt but I did have a helper for a couple minutes.

That's where I'm at right now. I'm going up friday to pick up a wire harness from a contour and some interior parts off a 2001 (that is if they dont send it to the crusher before I get there). After that I should be able to start working on making it run.

The plan right now is make it run. Then make it pretty. It's parked on a concrete driveway now so the rusting issue shouldnt get much worse before I can get to it. Hopefully by summer I can be driving it again.

Reactions: JustToddSC

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Do you still have the Kam hood and Z3 fenders?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Kam hood is going back on here but the Z3 will probably go on one of my other cars

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've been doing a little more.

Rest of the body kit on.

Kaminari and Z3s black again and back on.

Started doing some more under the hood.

Then pulled the fuel tank so I could fix some messed up brake lines. Brake lines fixed in the back.

Found these were toast too.

Grabbed a newer filler neck.

Painted it so maybe it'll last awhile

Cleaned the tank.

Did a little rust converter under while it was apart.

And put it back on its wheels.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks glad to be working on the cars again. I've missed my sanity

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Awesome!
I've never seen a Cougar with a Microwave before...was that a factory option?

Reactions: wadespencer99

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. Custom paint stand. Though I'm sure it would cure the paint better if the part was inside with it turned on.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New hatch struts in today. Its nice not having to wonder how long the hatch will stay open

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow this has been a long weekend.
About a year later, have had another baby, and now work at one of the local mechanic shops which doesn't give me a whole lot of time. I have started back on this recently though.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So where to begin. A few months ago I got a dash from a 2001 at pull a part. Swapped out my 99 for the 01. Apparently the fuel system isn't the only real difference because after installing it the wire harness didn't match up. But man did she look pretty.

So to fix it the dash had to come back out. And yes 2001 door panels and console too.

Ok damn that's ugly. Gotta fix that.

Ok Me likey..

I can live with that.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So Now we have the dash out. The harness had to be stripped off.

Nice and the 99 harness going in.

However the radio harness was cut from a previous radio install. I have the 2001 harness that still has the end. So that got fixed.

Since the radio harness looked so good figured let's clean the rest up a bit.

So then back in with the dash.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put this back in as well so I quit walking around it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And repaired and rewrapped the rear engine harness as well.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also have the axles back in minus the 2 nuts on the bearing in the intermediate shaft. And the cooling system is in and filled minus the fan.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There has been some cougar action going on the past couple weeks I just haven't been posting it here

·
Administrator
15,476 Posts
Nice work, I'm sure it feels good to get it fixed up.

I've swapped a few dashes, it's always easiest to use the harness that came in the car.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah it is nice to be working on this one again. I'm not totally sure which car the harness came from I know it's not original to the car but its original to a 99.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts