New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil today and I decided to add some Lucas Oil stabilizer since I've had great results w/their Gas Treatment (the stabilizer works in trannys too). My engine is hitting 68k and I'd figure I'd start adding treatments now as sort of a preventive maintenance thing for down the road. I've also been using Mobil 1 Synthetic since the 2nd change.

You add this stuff in place of the 6th quart (yea the manual says different, but she'll take 6 no prob). So it's 5qts oil 1qt stabilizer. It's easier to just pour in 1qt and fill the empty container w/the stabilizer, it takes a while because the stuff flows like molasses.

I fired her up & let her run for a few minutes and I noticed the engine was considerably quieter. I drove it home (used the parents garage) and the car ran very smooth...much more than it has in the past on a new oil change.

I bought it at Autozone, which is the only place I've seen it. You'll get 2 oil changes out of the bottle, or 1 oil change and add the remainder if you flush the tranny fluid. I normally get around 23mpg (20-21mpg before using the gas treatment). So I'll give it a week and see where I stand w/the stabilizer.

You can view their site for more info on their other products. I've used the power steering sealant & tranny mix to really help on my g/f's 89 Grand Marquis. And it really helped with the leak she was having, that thing was pissing all over the place. Now it's just a very slow leak.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Yeah, i've been curious about this stuff for quite a while. In fact i was it at Advance yesterday and when i did i was thinking of posting asking if anybody's used it. Cool to hear the short-term results... now i'll stay tuned for the long-term.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I have a few things to say and then I'll shut up..:disgust:

First, the reason people use synthetic based lubricants is so their car engines will last longer and won't need to have molasses added to them. That way you don't need molasses to fill in the gaps between worn rings and broken seals.

Second, adding a conditioner or additive to synthetic oil will adversely effect the lubricant's properties, and void the lubricant manufactures warranty.

Third, by adding molasses to the oil you are increasing the viscosity which is very detrimental to the engine. Using a higher weight viscosity lubricant may cause seals and gaskets to fail from the added pressure. This also contributes to wear by making the engine work harder both in starting and running down the highway.. In cold weather it becomes harder to start.

Here are a few test results of 10 popular lubricants for your general information as to what makes for a good lubricant .. Comparative Motor Oil Testing

Please guys, stay away from additives unless your engine is so warn out that you need glue to hold it together..:biggrin: And don't forget to change the oil filter often..

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Although I have not used Lucas in my Cougar or Contour... I have used Lucas Oil Treatment in all 3 of my Diesels... It is very good for the mileage and the strain I place these motors though pulling the loads of 10k up to 80k lbs...

MrForge, you seem to know your oils... Good knowledge to the boards...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thank you for doing my work MrFroge. :biggrin:

Excellent summary of "molasses" and the fact it does not belong it any good engine, but only ones that are already damaged do to lack of proper maintenance or just plum high mileage (thus needing a rebuild anyway)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Yeah, the lil display they have at AutoZone.....2 sets of gears...one with stabilizer and one without.

Everytime I think.. Wow this thing sure is fun to play with while I want in this damn line....But WTH would I want my oil to Stick All Over my gears? I can feel a noticable drag on the gears just when spinning it with my hand....:shrug:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
Yeah, the lil display they have at AutoZone.....2 sets of gears...one with stabilizer and one without.

Everytime I think.. Wow this thing sure is fun to play with while I want in this damn line....But WTH would I want my oil to Stick All Over my gears? I can feel a noticable drag on the gears just when spinning it with my hand....:shrug:
I was at auto zone yesterday playing with that little display :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts