New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to completely remove the lower grill on the '99 cougs? I want to put a mesh grill in front of it to match my hood scoop grill and I find it would be easier to just take the whole thing out...I got the grill off the lower and side clips, but it doesn't seem to want to come off the upper clips (pulling from behind the bumper, or pushing from the outside of the grill). Do they just snap off and I am not pulling hard enough or what?

mike

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pump some iron my friend!! Seriously, i had the same trouble when i painted mine, just push back on it and push up on the bumper lip where it conects to. It may seem like it will break but MINE did not. Just take your time.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
silverfrost is right...they DO come on with a little INSPIRED tugging!
Here's some pics of my mesh lower grills just to prove they come out!;)
Charles

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guyz, after pushin and pullin at the thing and bruises on both my arms, i finally got it out...decided to just paint it silver...the mesh didnt look too well..

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
how did everyone attach the mesh to the bumper? mine won't stay on and i can't figure out a good way to keep it there. gimme some ideas?

G

·
redbeard: try two things 1) small cable ties/zipties - look for black/matching colour for most visually pleasing effect. 2) try also very fine aluminum wire - it comes shiny and matt, look for something like 22 or 24 guage and use it like a twist tie. i would suggest if you try 2) to wear gloves, as this sort of wire can do some nice damage to your fingertips :biggrin:. just remember that you want to do any attaching as out of sight as possible for best look.

hope this helps

·
Registered
902 Posts
When putting mesh in the place between the hood and the bumper.. do you just put mesh over the normal plastic?

G

·
Just get under the car and take the plastic splash shield off under the motor and pull them out...that way you don't risk breaking something, and to the person that said they were going to paint their grills...hell yes!! Thats what I did, I have all my grills color matched and people though I had a whole new bumper cuz of that.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This is what happens when you hit fat road kill, bust out the factory fog light, goto wal-mart, buy cheap ass foglight, then to home depot(gutter guard), stop-n-go(12-pack bud ice),home (to get half ass drunk and try to rebuild the front grill)......DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. (this is why im sticking to audio!)....i had to take front bumper completely off to get it to look somewhat decent- SO, if you take your time, it could be something good, and since the bottom had the mesh, might as well ghetto the top grill too!!

well its the LEFT fog, just in case of sarcasm...

·
Registered
275 Posts
redbeard: when I put my $7 gutter guard on I took off the plastic grills then used wire snips
to cut out the same shape, including the holes where it snaps on. I never had a
problem yet after 6 ot 7 months.

firebird12: there are two screws on both sides of the plastic grill on top. Take them out and
remove the grill. Take it inside then take your time bending/molding the mesh into
the same shape. Use wire snips to make all cuts, including the holes for the two
screws. Now, before installing make sure you buy some clear car door molding stuff
(you know, to trim the door with to protect against bumping) Trim the bottom of
grill with it so it won't scratch your bumper. Oh, and yes, remove the plastic grill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts