New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall...my '99 cougar with ~70k miles is strugglin with torque on the low end. I don't know what the deal is but if I switch from 1st to 2nd at 15mph the car continues making an airy noise up until 2100rpms as if I'm going too slow for the gear, and meanwhile there is like 0 power. It does that in every gear all the way up to about 2100 rpms. I know I can't be shifting early cause 2000rpms isnt' that low. On another forum somebody said somethin about an IMRC (intake manifold runner control?) maybe bein stuck in the open position or somethin like that. But then someone else said they don't think the I4 cougars have an IMRC only the V6. I dont' know what the deal is, any help would be appreciated though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The zetec does not have a imrc. Maybe it's due for some general maintenance?:shrug: I have well over 150k on mine and don't really have that problem. Do you have a modded intake?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You are shifting to early to expect power to be there. Its lugging around at that rpm. 4 cylinder engines dont have that much torque, and revs are their friends. You can do some mods such as intake/exhaust/ and header to help out with torque. But that is kind of a low rpm to expect there to be some power of a 2.0

·
Registered
832 Posts
There's no power at 2100rpms. Even with my turbo, full spool doesn't hit till 2700rpms.

Either way, TQ is roughly the same from 2500rpms to 5000rpms. The Zetec is more torqey than most 4cyl, but even then it's not putting out a lot in stock form.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by: Hardrive
The zetec does not have a imrc. Maybe it's due for some general maintenance?:shrug: I have well over 150k on mine and don't really have that problem. Do you have a modded intake?
Intake is still stock. So I guess maybe I should just shift at a higher rpm then...I've been shifting a little above 3000rpm, what do yall think I should shift at...just wondering. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
well depends on how fast you want to go, personally I shift at 3.5 to 4k which is kind of high for normal driving but because of shifting a little high it falls right back into the powerband.

Say at shifting at 3100 or so its just starting to make decent power and you shift and cut it off and drop it back down out of the powerband.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i shift anywhere from 3300 to 5000...and it depends if i have to pass an old lady on the hiway onramps i might even take her up to about 6500 in third and fourth.

you will definately find that the power is there for you if you shift around 3500...hehe but dont expect too much it is a four banger..

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
i shift anywhere from 3300 to 5000...and it depends if i have to pass an old lady on the hiway onramps i might even take her up to about 6500 in third and fourth.

you will definately find that the power is there for you if you shift around 3500...hehe but dont expect too much it is a four banger..
umm 6500 in fourth is like 120... isnt your car governed at 115?

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
a rev limiter doesn't cut off at a certain rpm in certain gears. it cuts off at 6500 rpm in every gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.