New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 automatic cougar with v6. When you back up going very slow sometimes even going forward. A noise that can be heard across the parking lot can be heard. Sounds like a metal rubbing noise. mostyl when backing up and hitting the brake. Like backing out of a parking spot. First dealer said the car needed front and rear brakes at 18k. I took the car back and checked out the brakes they were all fine.
now about 28k the car still makes this noise, I checked underneither, nothing rubbing or close to rubbing. I was thinking a wheel bearing, but wierd that this noise can be heard from any distance away, people in parking lots stare. I brought it into a different dealer, and they couldnot figure it out or even here the noise, I went there and made the noise happen, the service manager said it is probably the brakes. He said the cougars and focus bothe have bad rotors that rust right away. and the brake pads are probalbly catching the rust edge. when I checked out the brakes a while ago there was a rust edge on the face of the rotor. It does make some sense, but the noise started around 12k miles. Does this mean every 12k or so I would have to change the brakes and have the rotors cut . That does not make sense If they are bad rotors that rust to quick Ford should try using better metal. This sounds like it could be the problem, but I dont want to have to deal with this every 12k or so. Anyone else have this problem, and have a fix.
Thanks
[email protected]

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Mine did that until I replaced the rear brake pads. About $18, and it's all quiet...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
my car does that every now and then, only when backing up and pressing on the brakes slightly. Never had the rear brakes replaced, that's probably why.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts