New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla Motors

Lotus is making a 100% electric car with nearly zero emissions. They claim it can do 0-60 in four seconds and top out at 125mph. It uses a lithium battery that can go over 200 miles between charges. Of course, if you can afford a $100,000 car, you're probably not too worried about the price of gas. Still, an interesting car.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
a tesla isn't a lotus

EDIT//// didn';t see george's post saying that :tongue:

If I ever end up with an extra $50k sitting around for it's down payment, I'll be all over that car (orange or yellow with the two tone leather, painted CF hardtop, and one or two of the other add-ons) :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Nice try :tongue:

The Tesla is actually built at Lotus plants though. Read the article.

FYI, they do call the Kappa twins baby-vettes informally, and they are moving production of the 4 roadsters to Bowling Green...

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
"Now, company co-founder Martin Eberhard says, the first Roadsters should come off the Lotus assembly line in Britain sometime during the first quarter of 2008."

Anyway, the title of this thread is a misnomer, no question. However, I'm responding more to Claymore's question.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
oh, and you wont see any full electric cars in US production because there is no way to tax the electricty u charge it with to pay for road repairs, etc. like what u pay in tax for your gasoline
you obviously don't have utility bills JayZee ;)

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That thing is pretty sweet. It does look a little small inside but very nice. I think for a car that's pretty much the first of its kind the $100k price isn't too bad. I can't afford one right now but I'm sure they'll sell a few.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
you obviously don't have utility bills JayZee ;)
that wont work, because what if, like in new york, you dont drive a car at all. BUT, you have lots of electrical equipment in your home, to say, help you with a job or hobbie. YOU will have to pay for road repairs, even though you dont use them. THAT is what i'm getting at. it wont work. theres no way to filter out what your using your electricty for. and if there is, there will always be someone who figures out a way to bypass it, such as having 6537486 solar panels on their roof. :disgust:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The government would get its money in the sales tax on those panels.... those things are NOT cheap.
yes, but they pay for themselves. my dads buddy has some and the electrical company, DTE, comes out once in awhile cuz they think something is wrong with his meter and they end up paying him for feeding his power into the line. so basically, he gets paid for it being sunny outside :rofl:

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
hate to break it to you JayZee but you couldn't be more wrong. Over in most of Europe they pay for almost ALL of their road/highway construction via fuel taxes. Why do you think they pay 2,3 and 4 times as much as we do? So they stand to loose more than us under your theory.

Oh and guess what ... you have to pay tax for creating energy via solar panels or wind turbines, etc. So long as your on the grid and feeding power back in or just if your electrical generation equipment is tied to it and even just off setting some of your power usage. The only way to avoid the tax is if your system is TOTALLY off the grid.

·
is a pop sensation
13,672 Posts
You also pay property taxes on cars in some states, pay the government to register your car, and pay driving taxes everytime a cop picks you out of the crowd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts