New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little old but it's the cover story in Road and Track for november. Instead of being powered by the Rover 4-cyl powerplant, it'll feature Toyota's 1.8L VVTL-i motor from the Celica GT-S coupled with 6-speed tranny. With ECU enhancements, it'll push [email protected] and [email protected] Doesn't sound all that hot, but it flies to 60mph in 4.8 seconds and hits the quarter mile mark around 12 seconds.

Weighing it at a svelte 1975lbs and a little smaller than a Miata, and selling for about 39k in the US starting spring 2004, this is gonna be damn cool. :)

I guess sometimes it is all about power/weight ratio. :biggrin:

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Unfortunantly it gained about 200 pound in coming over here, had it weighed less than 1800lbs like the Elise 111s does, it would really fly. Although, according to Lotus, the new US-spec car will be the best Elise yet. :hitit:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
YES!!!! YEEEES!!!
i'm so happy that its coming over... i love that car.

don't worry about it gaining 200lbs... thats easy enough to take car of. racing seats & maybe a few SMALL mods would bring the weight down / power up so its all equal. (if thats REALLY important)
BUT i swear... the first person, man, woman, i dont care, the first person i see who "modifies" this car past that extent (i'm talkin bodykit/chromes or even *gasp* airbags :ugh: :mad: ...and puts it in a car show, I'm gonna kick their ass! - the Elise is one of the FEW cars i think is perfect, right from the begining. :)

i love it... and the first person to say "man, theres nothing in the interior!" - let me just say... that with a car like this, for what its designed to do.... THATS ALL YOU NEED!
just you, a seat, a shifter, a clutch/brake/gas pedal, a steering wheel, and the car. - and it seems they've been nice enough to throw in a headunit and speedometer/tach even though 'who cares' eh? :biggrin:

Edit: and ya gotta like how the speakers are positioned around the dash eh? :cool:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
hahaha that would be great ... then you'd have all the headroom in the world :tongue:

Tom though... you're a big guy! would you fit into a lotus? :cover:

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
lol
I just saw a silver elise parked next to a blue Marenello (sp?) like two nights ago when i took my girlfirend out to a nice ass italian place for our anniversary... those cars a bad ass..

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
More info related to the Elise coming to the US.

And, yes Matt, it's quite snug, but I can get in one.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the 200 lbs extra weight was mostly due to the addition of dual airbags and AC compressor. It's worth it considering this is land of SUV so airbags definitely a good thing.

Also the 200 lbs weight gain is more than offset by additional power. The Us Elise will have 190 hp vs the Euro version which has 120hp. You do the math...

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
hell i know someone makes a turbo kit for that engine too :biggrin:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Awesome Tom! - and you WILL be brining your Elise to the cougar meets right? :biggrin:

Originally posted by: bzcat
the 200 lbs extra weight was mostly due to the addition of dual airbags and AC compressor. It's worth it considering this is land of SUV so airbags definitely a good thing.
somehow, if an SUV smacks into this thing... i don't think airbags are going to do a whole lot :tongue:

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I hate you...

Although, if I had bought my Cougar a year earlier, I'd have money down too.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would LOVE to have an Elise. The cougar would go bye bye in a heartbeat if I could actually afford the loan and get something on trade in.

No modifications? Awww.. Heck after the end of the first week, modification time would begin. Well, if I could come up with the elise motorsport style rear deck and roof, plus all the other odds and ends to re-create the look of the race car,that and a suitcase full of money... sigh... Its fun to dream but sometimes its just depressing.

Someone kick me for deciding not to finish college and becoming a mechanic.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug

I guess sometimes it is all about power/weight ratio. :biggrin:
For Lotus, thats what its ALWAYS been about. 'cept for the early 90's Isuzu Elan revamp POS.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If I am not mistaken, there are no power brakes or steering. I believe all new builds are required to have ABS now. That could also relate to the 200lb addition.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Most of the current Elise models have ABS already, I think 200+ lbs is coming from the addition of 5mph bumpers / side impact reinforcment / emissions control equipment

When was the 'need for abs' thing implemented? my '99 doesnt have it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts