New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm really new to these cars. I'm a die hard Ford fan (mercury included) and I am a T-Bird guy but my girlfriend has a 2000 cat with a 2.5L and I wat to learn everything about them. I know there's the search feature and I've been looking and searching for a few hours now. I had no idea there was so much stuff for this car. I learned about cc.com and have been looking through there too. So my plans are not real big since it's just the girlfriends car, but I plan to at least get a nice borla dual exhaust and port the manifold and CAI. My question is this. I know it's pretty vague, but what gains can be expected from ported upper/lower manifolds, bigger throttle body (if they make them?) and cold air intake? I don't expect much but a decent gain would be great. ie 30-40 bhp.

Although I don't plan on doing a lot of aftermarket things to this car. I plan on keeping it running great, which requires good knowledge about it. I'd guess it's an OBD II system. so would it be okay to get some kind of aftermarket cats? I wouldn't think so. And where are the rear OBD II sensors at? I guess I'll have a shop cut off right after those sesnsors and put the 2.5" from there back. I've heard a few nice sounding cougars with duals.

What kind of maintenance items are best for this car? I'll be using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but what kind of transmission fluid?

Any other helpful info would be great guys. Sorry for any repeat common questions but I want to get it all straight. Thanks again guys. This forums is nice, but I kinda expected more people! lol.

Oh and one more thing, anyone ever notice the camped feeling of the interior? I'm 6'3" 210lbs and my forehead is always touching the sun visor! Is there any way to make track extensions for the seats or anything?

Thanks again guys.

-Thomas

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here's a suggestion... give me your girlfriend's Cougar and give her one of your T-Birds. They are sweet cars! Crashed 4 myself - all V8's!!!

Oh yeah, the best I can give you is to tell you to go here.

Be sure to check out their how-to's and other links.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Thomas
Okay so I'm really new to these cars. I'm a die hard Ford fan (mercury included) and I am a T-Bird guy but my girlfriend has a 2000 cat with a 2.5L and I wat to learn everything about them. I know there's the search feature and I've been looking and searching for a few hours now. I had no idea there was so much stuff for this car. I learned about cc.com and have been looking through there too. So my plans are not real big since it's just the girlfriends car, but I plan to at least get a nice borla dual exhaust and port the manifold and CAI. My question is this. I know it's pretty vague, but what gains can be expected from ported upper/lower manifolds, bigger throttle body (if they make them?) and cold air intake? I don't expect much but a decent gain would be great. ie 30-40 bhp.

Although I don't plan on doing a lot of aftermarket things to this car. I plan on keeping it running great, which requires good knowledge about it. I'd guess it's an OBD II system. so would it be okay to get some kind of aftermarket cats? I wouldn't think so. And where are the rear OBD II sensors at? I guess I'll have a shop cut off right after those sesnsors and put the 2.5" from there back. I've heard a few nice sounding cougars with duals.

What kind of maintenance items are best for this car? I'll be using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but what kind of transmission fluid?

Any other helpful info would be great guys. Sorry for any repeat common questions but I want to get it all straight. Thanks again guys. This forums is nice, but I kinda expected more people! lol.

Oh and one more thing, anyone ever notice the camped feeling of the interior? I'm 6'3" 210lbs and my forehead is always touching the sun visor! Is there any way to make track extensions for the seats or anything?

Thanks again guys.

-Thomas
I wouldn't expect too much, but there are guys on the boards that have such mods and can give you a better idea of what your overall gains would be. It will probably come down to simply switching parts out for 3L components. You can use MIL eliminators if you change the CAT, or gut the precats. That will stop the CEL from coming on, by tricking the oxygen sensors. Tranny fluid is mercon -- but I believe there is a number associated with it.

If the interior is too cramped for you, change the seat around - I'm 6'1", well heavier than you, and I have no problems - make sure that the booster in the seat is all the way down, it can be adjusted with the front switch.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
so would it be okay to get some kind of aftermarket cats? I wouldn't think so. And where are the rear OBD II sensors at?
do you mean the O2 sensors (oxygen sensors)??
I plan on keeping it running great, which requires good knowledge about it.
Get a DMD (dual mode damper) It'll help balance the crank shaft at High RPM's
As far as maintenance I would use Motorcraft plugs some ford racing plug wires
replace your fuel filter every 15,000 miles or so and just take good care of her.
As far as performance....well dude it's an autotragic it's not gonna go to fast without
a shot of nitrous and some bolt-ons so you are going the right route make is look nice and
sound nice.
But yes the SVT 3.0L throttle body will fit onto the 2.5 and same with the SVT Upper Intake man.
and depending what year Cougar and when it was manufactured you may already have the
SVT Lower intake manifold in it. I can't remember the exact date right now but you can look for it
on this site. Also if you clickHERE! and go under Contour you can
find some parts for your 2.5L Also you can find parts at Custom Cougars

Later

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,717 Posts
Yep. Get as many intake-side bolt-ons as you can find from the SVT Contour. They rated at 30 hp more than the Cougar 2.5, with the same short block. Intake, cams, flywheel, and computer all add up to 30 easy horses.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The SVT has a little higher compression ratio and different cams so you're probably not gonna get the whole 30hp. With the exhaust you should be able to pull it off though. And Thomas you should be able to fit if you set the seat all the way back and use the button to lower the seat. I'm 6'4" and 240lbs ( I lift weights so it's not as much as it seems could stand to lose about 10-15lbs.) and I fit fine. Granted I've never tried the passenger seat. Just tell your girl you have to drive so you fit :) The Mobil 1 is a good choice, just make sure you use a good oil filter, thats not a FRAM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah I put the seat all the way down and back and my head still hits lol. She has one of those double cd holder things on the visor so that's why. I always drive her car when we go somewhere that's why i want to make it faster. I can't help not tinkering with things if I have the chance to. Do you mean Mercon V for the tranny? That's what's recommended for the tbird trannys.

I wasn't aware that the counter was ideally the same engine as the 2.5L You'd think they'd make some aftermarket parts for this engine since it's an SVT! That blows. Well I think I'll stick with the borla exhaust and a cool lookin intake. Those upper manifolds are an ungodly price. I got some ported upper and lower manifolds fro my bird for 375! Thanks again for all the help. I'll probably be around here from tiem to time for maintenance issues or something. Later

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Here is a suggestion. Don't go with borla. Overpriced and don't sound as mean as the TruBendz. Get her a TruBendz with a noce dynomax, get her an intake (other than weapon R, because it takes too much effort to keep it from deteriorating). After that you could do some cosmetic stuff and suspension mods. The cougar is not a car to drag with, it's for the twisties. Remember that while modding.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'd reccomend the borla muffler on the trubendz system, the dynomax muffler only sounds good with the extra price resonated tips, it drones otherwise...Other than that, try and get some SVT motor peices, and have fun

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Brullen is also making a nice setup. It's not available for sale yet, but it's a full cat back, mandrel bent 2.5'' splitting into 2.25''. It should be out soon, the fitting/fabrication was done on my car last week. They also offer high flow cats and y-pipe.

Check e-bay and local wreckers for the SVT UIM, tb, and LIM. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find somthing, if you're looking for an intake, look into the GMK CAI, it's the closest to a true CAI for the cougar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are all very helpful. I was hoping there'd be a true CAI somewhere, otherwise I was just going to buy a couple u-bends from jcwhitney and weld my own. I like custom projects like that. But I think my vortech project on my tbird will satisfy all my pipe welding needs lol.

What is the compression ratio on the 2.5L and 3.0L? I was thinking of a piggy back computer also. Can they modify shifts and timing? I know on the tbirds, the chip allows you to shift from manual 1st to manual 2nd and break em loose. It also fixes the retarded timing at WOT. Does the cougar have retarded timing at WOT?

-Thomas

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
The GMK CAI is the only true cold air intake for the cougar. If you need a full cai system i recommend you check out customcougars.com

you will have to relocate your battery because you have an ATX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts