New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car info.
2000 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V6

New alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, FRP Fuel rail pressure sensor and ECM re-programed for keys and security.

I have had it with this car and just wish it would burn to the ground. After replacing the ECM I was hoping all the codes would be cleared and I would be finally able to drive the vehicle. It has been sitting now for the past six months.

Here is a list of the codes that I am still getting after clearing the codes.

P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Circuit High Input (even after replacing sensor)
P1124 - TP Sensor out of range
P1116 - ECT Sensor out of range
P1158 - H02S22 Sensor Indicates Rich
P1408 - EGR Flow Out of Range
P1152 H02S21 Sensor Indicates Rich

Does anyone have a clue what might be causing all of this.... I am sick of trial and fail. It is costing me way too much money!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
Weird. You don't suppose there's a short in the wiring harness somewhere? All of those sensors are on the same wiring harness off the junction box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weird. You don't suppose there's a short in the wiring harness somewhere? All of those sensors are on the same wiring harness off the junction box.
Not sure. I will have to get it in the air. Worth a shot I suppose. Weird that it is causing high inputs in everything.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
it may not be a short circuit, but a grounding issue. A high resistance earth may be giving high values...G.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright soooooooooo....

I cleared all the codes... changed the spark plugs. It started and ran much nicer. It is stuttering while in first gear and into the higher rev's. I ran it for a while and seemed to run a little better. I stopped at a coffee shop, ran out and started it up. As soon as I started it up the CEL came on. I hooked up the scanner and gave me the following codes:

P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input
P1520 IMRC Circuit Malfunction
P0172 Fuel System too rich bank 1
P0175 Fuel System too rich bank 2

Any suggestions?????

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
So the pressure sensor malfunction could be causing the rich condition. You said you replaced it, but - perhaps you need to examine its wires and the vacuum line VERY CLOSELY.

The IMRC circuit malfunction could be inside the IMRC, or in the wiring harness. Is the FRPS and the IMRC on the same section of wire?

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Yeah, I'm guessing Injector wiring harness is causing you problems...

Try to find one for your year and fuel style, and give that a try before you start replacing every thing...

·
Administrator
15,537 Posts
I just did an engine swap in a Cougar, and I'm getting the IMRC circuit malfunction code as well. I changed the IMRC and I'm still getting the same code. That's telling me wiring problem :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This car is going to kill me! I cleared the codes once again and these are the new ones that popped up.....

P0175 Mercury Fuel System Too Rich (Cylinder Bank 2)
P0193 Mercury Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input
P0118 Mercury Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input
P0401 Mercury Exhaust Gas Recirculation Malfunction
P1152 Mercury Lack of (HO2S21) Switch Sensor indicates Rich

So the car seems like it is either getting too much fuel and bogging out or its cutting in and out. It seems to run alright in gears 2 and 3 at low RPM. When you get into the gas it is jerking the car, rev's pulse, sputters, and almost seems like a miss. It sometimes gets so bad that from a stop you can hardly get the car to move. It is like it is flooding out and even if you rug it the RPM's cant seem to get up there.

I think I am going to have to succumb and take it to the stealership. I'm not sure where I am going to get the cash, but I need a car....

What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
It's that main wiring harness on the top of the engine. Both top O2 sensors, the coolant temp sensor, the FRPS... EVERYTHING you list is on that one large group of wires. It could be anything from the fuse box to the wires themselves.

That's GOT to be it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were right. I took it to a garage and they were able to diagnose a bunch of different problems with the car. It has never run better. I am took it for a 400km spin afterward and it runs perfect with no more check engine light. Thanks for everyone's help.

PS If anyone lives in Durham Region (Ontario, Canada) I can highly recommend a great shop. Bridlewood Automotive

·
Registered
789 Posts
So was it the wiring harness?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So was it the wiring harness?
Yes it was the main harness that goes from the engine to the computer apparently. Also one of the vacuum hoses for the EGR was plugged. Put over 500kms on it since Thursday and doesn't seem to be any problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts